F1 Tuning

We had an 07 530I that was a 6 speed on our lot so F1 decided to tune it for us for free due to the recent events that have taken place with another 5 series car that was tuned and didnt make significant gains.

2007 BMW 530I Non turbo / NA / bone stock

I went to see Morgan at Synapse Motorsport…

This is the dyno results BONE STOCK with no F1 tune:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/RobertFendrick/STOCK0288530IBONESTOCK.jpg

This is the first time we went to the dyno with an F1 tune, we did not change anything else with the car at all:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/RobertFendrick/STOCK0288530IF1Tune1.jpg

We gained 4RWHP and 5RWTQ so I called the F1 tuning guys and they re-wrote the tune.

This is the 2nd time on the dyno with the updated F1 tune, we did not change anything else with the car at all. Its an overlay with the stock tune in the picture as well:

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab138/RobertFendrick/STOCK0288530IF1Tune2.jpg

On the 2nd tune as you can see we gained 13RWHP and 10RWTQ…

The folks at F1 tuning were sure they could have gotten the numbers more like 17RWHP and 15RWTQ if we let them tune it again and head to the dyno for a third time. I had the car sold through this whole process and the new owner really wanted to pick it up. He didnt want to wait another day for us to do our tuning and dyno work so we couldnt allow them to tune it again.

Overall I am pleased and think that a 13RWHP and a 10RWTQ gain is reasonable. It took a little bit of time to get it right but its right IMHO…

Im not looking to start a bashing thread or to start any trouble, I am simply looking to show results.

-Rob

How much does the tune cost? is it just a piggy back chip or what?

Tunes have a different cost for each car however they are around $500.00 give or take… Some are much less some are more…

This is not a piggy back chip, its tuning your factory ECU and equipment…

what did the exhaust + tune + dyno-time = $money-wise ?

We did NO exhaust work to this car… It was bone stock when we started and the only thing we did to it was the tune…

I got a decent deal on the dyno time and like I said the tune was $500ish…

Wait so…

You pay $500…

You get less than 20hp gain?

:rofl:rofl

Edit: a 530 only makes ~200whp… Damn figured itd be more than that

Let’s keep this thread unbiased and stick to the facts.

Does the car need dyno time after the chip install everytime or is this one of the chip models F1 wasnt sure on?

What gains does F1 claim on the site?

Thank you for the post and looking into the issue.

If you think about what you said for a minute… A name brand cold air intake and a name brand catback for that same car would run you around $1500+… What do you think you would gain off of both of those with no tune?? Can you name a mod thats $400 that you will gain 20+ RWHP on a NA car…

In order for an NA car to be perfect and to get the most out of a tune on a NA car I would recommend some dyno time… I am not F1 I am just the middle man. I am trying to get people a good value on this and I think in order to see your gains on paper and have it 110% legit you would need dyno time… I am in the process of working out some details with Morgan at Synapse Motorsport for a decent deal on Dyno runs for cars getting F1 tuned… No matter how many times it takes to make it perfect.

As far as HP gains, there is not a specific listing on F1’s site for that year and make. For a similar NA car it said 13-35 RWHP gain for $399.99… IMHO, you cant beat that!!

I bet with a $300 intake and custom exhaust from synapse would be well under $1500 and would net more than 20hp

You said “you bet”… My question was what part can you get for $400.00 and gain 20+RWHP… Dont manipulate what I said… I laid out my car and my $ and you saw my results… Now its your turn, lets see how you make out…

nice to see the price drop between 5 posts.

$400 and 20- RWD hp… I’d sell the car and buy another :lol OR: I’d save up a bit more money and buy something I can put my finger on. Not a software adjustment.

Did you send any data back to F1 between the 1st and 2nd tune? Or did you just say, these gains suck give me a new tune? Because that would be certain sign to me that they are just trying shit without any basis.

Spending $500 for a gain that I bet would not show any substantial real world gains seems stupid.

I could have a Custom intake/exhaust made for 500 and and gain that + have my car sound much better

Oh, and I Coudl throw a 50 shot of N20 on it as well and be well under 500

used nitrous kit :thumbup

Doesnt even have to be used… NOS Sniper Kits on ebay go for ~300…

Lot’s of people have used them with success

Not that I trust the tune or say it’s the optimal means for power

But looking at the after market parts prices for BMW’s plus labor rates depending, getting NA power like that isnt a bad deal.

Once again however that’s just going by numbers, personally I wouldn’t trust a longevity of a tune like that. BMW RnD had a lot of time and money to figure out optimal power band for the stock motor.

Similar to revving past stock redline for higher peak HP numbers, easily doable on many motors but I wouldn’t trust it in long term.

I said it was around $500.00… I was asked what F1’s site said for gains so I checked and the price was $400 so I pulled over FACTS…

Yes I did send back all of the data with each time the car was tuned so they could improve on it…

For the rest of you, Even if the car gained 50RWHP you would have found a way to manipulate it and say, “I could get a used part and gain more for cheaper”… I only did this to see if power was to be made so I could share it with you… Anyone can get junk yard parts and used parts for cheap and make a car fast for cheap…

Need to stop the hating, that’s a reasonable gain for this car. It’s just nothing “special” and there are cheaper, and better known tuning options out there for these platforms.

He’s selling snake-oil to morons claiming he’s the best. That’s just not the case.

Thank you

I’m not going to jump on this F1 debate here but it would be nice to see an wideband AFR curve logged on those dyno runs, both before and after the tunes here.