Factory Five Racing

I haven’t seen anything on here, but does anyone on this forum have any experience with Factory Five kits?

I’m seriously considering building an 818 once I get settled into my house. I would be looking for a WRX donor in the fall and ordering the kit in the spring. Based on how fun the Lotus is to drive, I can’t imagine what a car like that would feel like with 300whp/300wtq.

I’m not expecting the kit to be even close to perfect but I’m just trying to gauge what potential problem areas there are or what to watch out for. Can’t really go wrong for $15k, but I don’t want to get involved with something that’s a total POS.

I also have no idea how to go about registering it in NYS.

I still want to build a Noble. but I need another project like I need aids…meaning I already have plenty.

Overall I’ve heard good things about their kits. I know they’ve gotten better over the years; early on their GTM kits (first gen) has some issue with the body molds, which required significant finish work on the bodies to get the fit/finish right; but I know their Gen II GTM has all new tooling and I’ve heard the body work required has been reduced significantly.

The FF forums have specific threads for registering in each state. NY isnt the easiest state, but its possible if you jump through the hoops.

Also, no one is coming in anywhere near the 15k completed mark for a turbo version.

FF has a good reputation for making quality kits, but don’t expect it to be “bolt together and go”.

Type 65 coupe would be my preference.

QFT - my dad has a '34 Ford Kit he’s been jumping through hoops through to get registered. The biggest PITA is keep receipts & serial numbers for all major parts (Engine, trans, axles, etc); NYS will run the S/Ns to verify they aren’t stolen, and want the receipts for the same reason.

I was actually diggin the '33 they make, but it’s too much shit to keep in the garage. You would have to have a space to build the frame, keep the body, and take apart the donor car. That’s a 3 bay garage right there. Maybe at the next house.

x…

saw them running that car at the Glen last year. It looks like a nice kit…

If you’re going to do a kit car, you’d might has well do it proper with a Caterham.

I definitely don’t expect that, it would probably take me over a year to finish between finding the money, finding all the parts and doing the work.

I found the video of that on YouTube, it looks awesome

A Caterham would be my first choice naturally, but they’re way too damn expensive for what they are.

that car in the lead post looks like an updated Lotus Elan… which is not a compliment by any stretch.

http://locostusa.com/ Man up.

I can see that. I don’t think it’s that great looking of a car but the performance aspect vs. price is interesting to me.

no me gusta

QFT

I obsessed with the Locost for a while a few years back. Read the forums on that site every day for months. Even got a book from the public library on it and read it.

My uncle has an ls7 gtm, it is ridiculously crude and awesome feeling. Like any project, take what you think it will cost and multiply it by 2, or in his case 4; he ended up >100k deep into it.