Fan controller

I have altima fans installed but they stay on the low setting at all times. I would like them to come on after a certain temp, much like stock operation. I was wondering if a fan controller would be right for that or is there other options available?

I saw this on zilvia

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=185FH

yea i checked that one out, a lot of good reviews. But i’ve heard its hard to program for some reason

Dude take it from me as i have done this exact thing. Go to performance improvements grab a prob fan controller (Not as nice looking as your other options). hook it up to any relay you find out of a junk 240 done deal. cheep and works great. make sure you hook the relay up to a fuse and use the accessories as a kill switch so it wont run after you shut the car off.

good luck

is it jus a switch, so on off or does it use the factory temp sensor?

its a sand alone temperature sensor. completely free of your engines system or temp sensor. you can also adjust it. its nice because it only runs when your in traffic on a hot day. other then that its normally off. engine temp as always stayed perfect. and its like 50 bucks new. I just run the probe along the front of the rad. between the rad and the uper support. its key to keep the probe touching the rad and as covered up as you can get it. a tie wrap around the uper part of the rad and its done and will never fall out.

i will be honest though the switch looks like its something built back in the 1970s. I’m not sure how someone could build it so ugly but they did.

haha arite ill look into it. thanks

I have a similar set-up from part source, I have temp switch stuck right through the rad (make sure to stick it on the highest part of the rad as possible) but yea you need to cover it in order for it to work good on those hot days. I’ve heard people using altima temp sensors to run fans to eliminate the stand alone?? dunno if that works…

i went and checked it out yesterday at performance improvements, the kit was 60 bucks but the guy told me i would need a gauge or something to set up the temp that the switch will open at. So i think im just gonna spend the extra 50 bucks and get the dif controller.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

doesnt make sense though cause im pretty sure the switch jus opens and triggers the fans to turn on when it reaches a certain temp, i shouldn’t need anything else to make it work.

I don’t think that guy knows what he’s talking about. If it’s a probe it’s fine it will work. It just connects the two connectors after a cretin temp. So run it through a relay and your set. You could run the fans right through the switch but it could be alot of amps. And I’m knot sure what that switch could handle.

No u dont need a gauge, and like what Clutch says if you use a switch everytime you switch it, its a firework show!

yea the kit they had came with the relay and temp probe, i think it was rated at 170ish F. And im guessing both fans will turn on at the same time with this setup?

yup thats what mine does!

arite cool it seems fairly easy to install aswell. Have you had any issues with this setup?

no, but like i said you gotta put somethin in front of the probe to limit airflow on it, the slightest breeze will turn off the fans too early, that will equal to a huge problem on a hot day with heavy traffic. Also put the probe at the highest point on the rad so as soon as the hot coolant flows in the fans kick on, my porbe is between my two fans at the very top. Good Luck!

thanks for the advise bro

had to re-wire my fans lol, wiring the fan relay to fuel pump ignition wire… bad idea lol keep that in mind. any other ignition wire is good :slight_smile:

lol arite, that doesnt sound to good. Thanks for the heads up

DIF fan controller off FRsport is really nice. Taps into factory sensor and you can control multiple fans to save power. ie one comes on at 170 and the second at 180. Works great for me but having a gauge to tune it is key, maybe buy a laser temp gun to set up the fans then return it to where ever you can buy it. I think CT would have them

Yeah mines the same as randy’s.
then both turn on at the same time. What i did is there is some foam between the top of the rad and the upper mouth i just slid the probe between the foam and the rad. then used a tie rap through the rad and around the top to keep the probe in place. just keep the probe wire out of the wind as well. so tuck it in.

I run power off the battery to a 60 amp fuse then to the relay then to the fans high speed for power. For controlling the relay I splice off the acc wire and into the probe. then from the probe to the relay.
That is an easy and safe way to run it when you shut the car off the fans are off when you turn the car on they only come on when the car is hot.