FAST motorsports in Albany, NY (Attn: All LS vehicles)

^ whatever, Maybe for all the “know it all tuner wanna b’s” all of us at RLMS could host a novice tuning course that may educate some of you.

that i would go to ,

That would be awsome.

Nah Im good with the knowledge I have

Can we please try to keep this thread back on topic… thanks!

can we please see your jugs ?

you should open a shop. knowledge is $$

You obviously don’t realize what forum you are on.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

ehh it was worth a shot lol…

99% of the time I am not the one driving the customer car. Plus its not like I am letting people drive like animals out of the roads its very control situations and I am instructing them in exactly what I need an want. Very smoooooth and draw out sweep of different ranges to get things dialed in.

Once I am out of the car though go have fun!

Exactly, I know how fast these cars and trucks can and will go but please do it on your own time

The right tools including a proper datalogger, a good knowledge base, a quality wideband that is calibrated and a couple spare plugs. Done on the street or done on a dyno can yield the same results. Yes its nice and all to do steady state tuning but if you are road tuning and dont use quick abrupt throttle changes you will build a model by making sweeps across a range of cells to increase counts to the point to use it as data to tweak from. Same on a dyno or the road if its really far off you quickly make changes then build form thre.

Correct VE/MAF tuning is the ONLY way to get the rest of the tune correct. You hack these the rest of the tune is hacked and carries more and more flaws that begin to stack.

If the proper time and techniques are used there should be no difference between any tune no matter where it starts and ends.

My personal favorite is street tune to nail it 99% then take it to the track to make it ET the best then go back and throw it on the dyno. Just so you can have a piece of paper to know your numbers. Also is nice to see where it does end up making peak HP and peak torque for later changes in the torque converter or gearing to use your power more wisely. Getting stuck on dyno numbers and peak power does NOT win races. Its justa tool and not something that you should live by. Also, with the load based dyno’s you still rely on the operator loading the car correctly. Out of the street the load is the load.

A dyno is just another tool and resource for tuning in general. Something to be used along with other tools and knowledge for a tuner to be able to do his/her job

Out of those shops you listed and even GM, explain this concept to me. If remapping the entire tune is the proper way to tune and is the only way it should be done then

WHY do some still PE rape their tunes?

especially GM if they tuned correctly then we would have no business with bone stock cars for the most part. Dont get me wrong that they need to take into account neglict but still I point out PE raping tuning technique.

I have seen wayyyy to many tunes come from big name shops that have BONE STOCK ve and maf tables, inccorect injector data and PE tables that look like the rocky mountains. Just like ssmokinnss’s car. It was 85% stock programming.

Running the car on a load dyno to hit every cell in order will be nice but smooth transistions from cell to cell by driving on the street will acomplish the same thing and in this case faster since you will be working on a range of the map all at once.

Im not saying a dyno should never be used but I am saying it should never be said it will make or break your tune. I have more cars tuned that have never seen a dyno that based on their combo’s well out perform the “normal” that similar cars see at the track. So all this focus on a dyno is nice and all but i will ask this

What is more important to a drag racer? RWHP or ET?

262, at the track tuning should be done for MPH, not ET. MPH=horsepower. In extreme cases, you’d actually be tuning the car to make LESS power if you went off of ET alone.

Travis you are correct. MPH means horsepower for sure and I agree should be tuning for MPH. However MPH is also skewed just like ET by traction.

I should have technically said “track results” to include both et and mph.

this is exactly what I was getting at…