Fellow XP-er's and Vista-er's

Looking for those who had windows xp professional or home and upgraded to vista…please pm me thanks…
kevin

vista isnt that amazing. nothing like those ‘mojave’ commercials lead it to believe. i wouldnt upgrade if it didnt come on my laptop.

its just a lot more smoother. i like it none-the-less

I have vista prem on the laptop and to me its more seamless the my xp sp2 on my pc. Id just leave it be, not really worth it…

I used to love XP and followed the media hype and refused to use vista. now that everything has been fixed that i have seen with SP1, I love it on my laptop.

Same except on my desktop. The only downside is Vista’s hardware requirements, which from what I hear they’ve taken care of in Windows 7.

i have no idea what the hell version i have

but i had windows xp prof on my desktop and i have windows vista prof on my laptop.

not worth upgrading imo, vista seems to work a little faster and has a better response time when programs freeze, but other than that i wouldnt consider upgrading at all.

if u really wanted to upgrade, i would just get a new computer…

I’m downgrading back to xp VISTA IS A TOILET.

Not only that its also a pig on your resources.

I don’t really notice the performance issues too much…

(see the ePenis thread)

If your computer isn’t a piece of shit and you aren’t an idiot Vista will run fine.

Very True…

Vista does need the extra oomph though. So if you don’t have it, don’t use Vista. I’ve seen some Best Buy computers coming out with Vista with 512MB-1GB of RAM, which is simply insufficient. I mean Vista will run on it, just not great.

I’ve used it on shit pcs and on good pcs, and it still dosent run as good as XP, it has too many self checks. Its liek windows milenium with a make over, and we know how much of a toilet that OS was.

I dunno I manage around 130 machines and just finishing up switching em all over to Vista and for the most part the only difficulty is users re-learning where things are moved to in the menus. I do disable a lot of features though to make it more user friendly, but a lot aren’t Microsoft related.

My biggest concern would be compatibility with existing software.

All users use is AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Visio, and Project so compatibility isn’t an issue. Any field tools go on old laptops that we wouldn’t ever consider upgrading to Vista so no issue there.

ah ok…

Agreed. I think that it really depends on what you are running it on to determine what experience you have with it. It would have run like shit on my older desktop which stayed with XP but when I got my new laptop, I liked it.

I cant wait to Windows 7 and throw that on there and see how that runs. XP performace with Vista features might be a great advance for Microsoft.

Vista is not a pig. I am running basically barebones for it, 3400+ amd, and 2 gbs ram and have 0 issues with performance.

I upgraded from XP Pro to Vista

Vista Requirements:

• 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 GB of system memory

• 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

•   WDDM Driver

•   128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

•   Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

•   32 bits per pixel

For XP:

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device