Fiberglass

Where locally can you purchase the materials to make fiberglass. I will be helping out a buddy fix a hole in his front bumper.

what are the basic steps to makin the fiberglass patch and what is needed to do it?

also, how long does it ussually take for the fiberglass to set and be hard enough to apply body filler?

Wow, how about Autozone, or any other car parts store. When you say help do you really mean learn how to?

wow, if your such an expert why dont you answer my question instead of being a dick. and yes i am helping, which may include doing fiberglass work for the first time, never thought that to be a crime.

You can buy the stuff at most auto parts stores. Its a chemical set so it will be ready in 3 - 4 hours but I would let it sit overnight. What is his bumper made of?

[quote=“IntegLS94,post:3,topic:27302"”]

wow, if your such an expert why dont you answer my question instead of being a dick. and yes i am helping, which may include doing fiberglass work for the first time, never thought that to be a crime.

[/quote]

Bro, you have the world at your fingertips. Try searching online and see what comes up. You ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.

nice write-up there violator thanks. i’m guessing urethane, but i’m not sure its my friends GTP.

fiberglass can NOT be used to fix a factory bumper, might as well just epoxy some sheet metal back there and glob on some filler

you need to plastic weld the bumper back together if its badly damaged

fiberglass fixes fiberglass
urethane fixes urethane
steel fixes steel

filler can only be applied in thicknesses that will alow more flex then the base material will see during driving

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:7,topic:27302"”]

fiberglass can NOT be used to fix a factory bumper, might as well just epoxy some sheet metal back there and glob on some filler

you need to plastic weld the bumper back together if its badly damaged

fiberglass fixes fiberglass
urethane fixes urethane
steel fixes steel

filler can only be applied in thicknesses that will alow more flex then the base material will see during driving

[/quote]

see that was what i originally thought of doing…just patchin it with a square piece of sheet. I was unaware that you could not patch urethane with fiberglass. I will prob. go ahead and just patch it with a piece of sheet metal, esp because he is turning the car in soon anyway so it doesnt need to be perfect.

hotrodkid thats for clearin that up

i’m guessing urethane, but i’m not sure its my friends GTP.

Do NOT use reg. fibergass on that bumper. I’ll just chip and crack right off. Go to the NAPA and tell them ur situation. They have, “Flex Bumper Repair Kit”.

EDIT: That kit comes with a flexable “filler-peice”