First Speeding Ticket Woes...

woo hoo u can come join us in the 4 week risk driving school

there always redusced to parking.they have to reduce it to a non moving violation in order for you to not get points

Yeah, it’s one of the few good loopholes in NY. Speeding tickets are written against the NYS VAT, so most of the fine goes to Albany and the township where the offense took place only gets a small chunk.

If that township reduces the speeding ticket to a local ordinance, say for instance a parking ticket, they can then set the fine to what ever they want and keep 100% of that fine. Amherst for example sets the fine based on your original offense, as well as looking at your record to see if you’re an Amherst court regular. Some people on here probably have their own reserved parking spot by now. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them not drop tickets to parking tickets. Sometimes it’s more than one, and sometimes the fines are high and you have to go to school, but Amherst wants it’s money.

Buffalo, as is so often the case, is too stupid to do this. They would rather piss that money away while fucking over drivers with the high insurance that comes with a speeding ticket conviction.

funny thing is i seen him pulled over on the side of walden near the thruway ramps

good luck with the ticket

I just had to get mine for a job interview, its 10 bux at the DMV.

Just go in there and talk to the DA, you will get school and a parking ticket. Ive told them I had a clean record (i dont) and they believed me, the cop told me to :gotme: this was in N.Tonawanda

:lol: I just got back from court. I don’t qualify for regular school because I’ve been to it within the last 18 months so I’m going to risk school. 4 Wednesday nights. :wtf: I’m cool with taking a punishment for breaking a law, but I’d honestly rather do 4 nights of community service so that SOMEONE can benefit. What a fucking waste of time this will be…

This was court night I guess. I just got back from OP court. 72 in a 55 on the 219, reduced to a single parking ticket, $100. No school.

What sucked, this was from the LAST trip for my old Fiero. I was driving it to it’s new owner in Boston NY and got nailed. I got to his house, took the plates off, and he drove me home. :lol:

Oh, and OP court, nothing like the finely tuned machine that is the Amherst court. I’ve watched Amherst process 200+ people in like 45 minutes. There weren’t 150 of us in OP, I was about 1/2 way through, and I was there from 4:40pm to past 7. Court started at 5.

The good news, EVERYONE got parking tickets. About 4-5 people got parking and school, all the rest I saw were just parking. If you were young you had to write the judge a letter explaining how speeding is bad, and how you could hurt people, and how it would affect you if you were convicted. The judge told them their fine was less because she was letting them write the letter, but from my estimate they saved about $10 to $15. I was really hoping one would have the balls to say, “Can I just give you the $15 extra and skip the bullshit of sending this letter?”.

Tonawanda isn’t exactly a well oiled machine… More of a herd of cattle. You even have to go through a gate: Town court now has a metal detector. Sitting in the court room is kinda fun though… Sitting there wondering why this nerdy little kid with his parents is being given a 6 month ACD for something. Probably stalking a cheerleader. Or listening to this other guy’s sob story about how he couldn’t make it to traffic school because he was incarcerated for 3 months. Good old society… :rofl:

Not sure how this whole “every wednesday night for a month” thing is going to work. I’m actually a contributing member of society with a good job which will probably have me traveling in January… We’ll see.

I think I’ll have some fun with my risk prevention school. I’m going to bring a calculator and some kinematics equations so that when the instructer starts in with all the reaction time and stopping distance type speed related questions I can correct him with the real numbers. :tup:

i wouldnt swet it too much, i got a 85 in a 55 goin down 20 in hamburg for my first ticket. I plead not guilty. Got a lawyer and he settled the whole thing for me. The lawyer might not be worth it to some, but for the $150 he cost me, i didnt have to wait in the court room for an hour, because i was the first one to go. He also got that speeding ticket reduced to 5 parking tickets at $25 apiece with no points and no school. So $275 later i have a clean license and no school time. I think it was worth the lawyer.

Sitting in court is fun as well as funny…The only time I was in the Amherst 1 there was this brother they brought in, about 40 yrs old or maybe older…Got caught breaking into a UB Dorm and wanking off as well hahhahaha

Couldnt help but to lol with the girl that was sitting next to me :lol:

The only “fun” case I heard in OP was some 60+ year old guy who brought a loaded .32 to a Bills game. From the sounds of it he has a conceal carry permit, but it was in his car not on him, and charges were going to be dropped.

There were a couple people with agrevated unlicenses operation, that I just had to laugh at. Both the dumbassess were driving cars with invalid inspection stickers. Now, lets think about this. You’re risking driving around without a license… AT LEAST GET THE FUCKING CAR INSPECTED! Might as well put a sign on top of your car that says “Hey pigs, pull me over”.

i thought i remembered hearing that tickets written for speeding on state roads given by troopers could not be plead down by local courts. judging from the replies in this thread, that appears not to be the case… Thank God.

ya all they do is assign you to a court, the judge has power over state troopers

i thought this was a new thing… Like, as of last year or something… I have gotten a shit ton of tickets on the thruway, as i know you have.

also, any idea if the cop using laser or radar?

Well, mine was a state trooper on the 219, by “direct observation”.

The new thing on no pleas only applies if it’s some small town where you plea directly with the ticketing officer. In those cases the officer is no longer allowed to plea bargin, so if the court doesn’t want to give you time with the DA to plea, you’re getting the ticket. In the case of OP, you meet directly with the DA, and she gives you a plea offer. And since OP needs the money to pay for the Bills, it was parking tickets for everyone :slight_smile:

thank you for clearing that up.

it was radar…

and i remember a thread a while ago too where they were trying to make it so that speeding tickets couldn’t be reduced any more? that does ring a bell…

WTF, is that as bogus as it sounds, something like… it looked like you were going about 85, Or did he pull you over and ask “Do you know how fast you were going”? And you preceded to screw yourself? What is Direct Observation?

me and suicide are doing that right now. it really sucks its filled with guys and ugly girls with no tits. go figure

Nope, he walked over, asked for my license and reg, and walked away. Came back with the ticket. Supposably they are “trained” to estimate speed within 5 mph. So even if I tried to fight it saying I was going 67, that’s still more than 55.

Honestly, I’m not sure how fast I was going. I had Azenis RT 615’s on the car, 205/50/15 when the stock size was 215/60/15. That meant I lost about 2" in diameter making my speedometer considerably wrong at 60-70 mph.

Not that it matters since the DA reduced it to parking. I more than likely was going over 55 considering I NEVER drive 55. I’ve pretty much come to accept the fact that they way I drive every couple of years I’m going to be in some court for some reason. Generally I’m a very safe driver, I just believe that as someone who does performance driving events regularly that when I’m going 80-85 in a 65 on a nice day on a lightly travelled highway I’m still considerably safer that most of the idiots on the road going 65. The police and I just don’t agree on that. :slight_smile: