Fixing a small dent (DYI attempt needs to be like asap)

So I am going to be getting into either a VW Rabbit or Scooby Impreza in the next few days here and I am going to be trading in my current car it has a small ding from presumably some tool banging there door on my car. I have attached a picture can anyone recommend the best possible DIY fix to get this little annoyance fixed just don’t want it too hurt my trade in value.

http://ethos.battleaxe.net/%7Eglenn/bimmer_dent_2_50_percent.jpg

umm leave it

take out the fender liner and start tapping it out with an open ended wrench?

worked for a door ding I had from someone opening a door into my car

[quote=“MaximaSE98,post:2,topic:38297"”]

umm leave it

[/quote]

Not going to hurt my trade in value too much?

is that an e46?

dry ice…

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:5,topic:38297"”]

is that an e46?

[/quote]

Yep sure is

[quote=“MaximaSE98,post:2,topic:38297"”]

umm leave it

[/quote]

+1

Look up what the car is worth in trade, and if they try and take any more than a couple hundred off because of that dent ask them how much it’s going to cost them to fix it.

[quote=“Supraman,post:6,topic:38297"”]

dry ice…
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/820799/secret_paintless_dent_removal_technique_easy_and_cheap/

[/quote]

thats sweet! I never knew about that before

I have never personally tried it… Trying to find someone with a “donor” car…
based on the video, it looks like it smooths them out pretty good…

I don’t think the dry ice trick will work on a seam like his dent though.

[quote=“JayS,post:11,topic:38297"”]

[/quote]

yea, that is kind of a tricky spot… its worth a shot, dry ice isn’t super expensive…

[quote=“JayS,post:11,topic:38297"”]

[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing too I think I will just leave it I got the edmunds pricing for my car on trade in so I can go from there.

[quote=“Supraman,post:12,topic:38297"”]

yea, that is kind of a tricky spot… its worth a shot, dry ice isn’t super expensive…

[/quote]

Where can I get it local?

its a deep dent (compared to diameter) and its on a bodyline … dryice wont work and youll only screw it up worse if you try to knock it out somehow

its going to take hammer / dolly work to get it straight, which will ruin the paint in the process

if they take any more then 150 off the value of the car your getting ripped.

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:15,topic:38297"”]

its a deep dent (compared to diameter) and its on a bodyline … dryice wont work and youll only screw it up worse if you try to knock it out somehow

its going to take hammer / dolly work to get it straight, which will ruin the paint in the process

if they take any more then 150 off the value of the car your getting ripped.

[/quote]

Ok sounds more and more like take the “fuck it and leave it and don’t let dealer try to rape me” route

Just remember, the dealer really wants to move that car you’re looking at. Between the fact that the vast majority of people won’t buy a car just before a Buffalo winter and that Christmas is just around the corner dealers want to move cars right now. Find out what your trade is worth, what the value of what you’re buying is, and don’t let them fuck you on numbers.

Aka, shitty trade value + low price on car or great trade value + high price on car = still getting fucked.

And “ouch” about going from a 3 series with all the options to a Rabbit. Guess you’re already getting fucked a little bit. Talk Paul into something other than Falafel and I’ll go out to lunch with you guys and talk you out of this craziness. :wink:

If the dealer tries to fuck you, just let them know you realize it will cost $100-150 for them to repair and the cost of their lot fee for the car you are buyin is probably close to $200-300 month so you are really saving the dealership money! Also i can garuntee you they wont lose a deal over $100 if thats what it takes! Just a little fyi:tup:

[quote=“JayS,post:17,topic:38297"”]

Just remember, the dealer really wants to move that car you’re looking at. Between the fact that the vast majority of people won’t buy a car just before a Buffalo winter and that Christmas is just around the corner dealers want to move cars right now. Find out what your trade is worth, what the value of what you’re buying is, and don’t let them fuck you on numbers.

Aka, shitty trade value + low price on car or great trade value + high price on car = still getting fucked.

And “ouch” about going from a 3 series with all the options to a Rabbit. Guess you’re already getting fucked a little bit. Talk Paul into something other than Falafel and I’ll go out to lunch with you guys and talk you out of this craziness. :wink:

[/quote]

Not really and actually leaning towards a Subaru Impreza right now, only thing from the option side that I am technically losing is HID headlights. Otherwise featuresets are comparable to my pretty much base 3 series remember i only got sport pkg, sound pkg and hid upgrade :slight_smile: also I am losing leather but that doesn’t really concern me. Going from a rather unpractical sports coupe with a fucking stupid high payment to a sensible 4dr hatchback awd whats not to like :beer:

edit

I will try for change of venue to Buffalo Wild Wings or maybe Duffs for lunch. Although BW3 might be better for Paul since they have some veggie friendly dishes.

a tiny bit OT, where can you locally get dry ice? the tiny dent in my door is pissing me off.