Dry ice and dents? (not related to other thread)

I have a small dent on my motorcycle tank and my cars hood, i was wondering if anyone has tried using dry ice on any dents before? here are 2 videos of people using it HERE. All you do is heat up the area a bit and touch dry ice to it, the metal will temporarily shrink and pop back into place. My uncle has recently done this to get a ding out of his fridge. I was wondering if this is perhaps the method that shops get dings out without affecting the paint.

get a piece of sheet metal and try it out

shops do not use this method. they use a massaging method.

where are you going to get dry ice? and i would just get it fixed and it would only cost about 100bucks with repaint

There are 3 places near by. They are in Buffalo, Hamburg, and Niagra Falls dry ice dosnt cost too much and anything i could do myself on my car is much cheaper then getting a shop to do it. I was told with the ding in my gas tank (bike) i wont be able to do much so popping it out like this would be my only hope besides buying a new tank

I saw somewhere online where they did it with cans of compressed air (turned upside down so whatever liquid is in there comes out) and a blow dryer. I tried it on my Durango and it didn’t do shit (wasn’t exactly expecting it to)…doubt this will work much better.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38432&highlight=dry+ice

isnt it a possibility to remove the gas tank, and then fill it with water and freeze it? then the water expanding pops out the dent… heard this before, neverr actually seen it done tho…

you would have to be REALLY careful with your calculations that you didnt overfill the gas tank… if you did the expanding water WILL cause the tank to shatter/crack

The rapid cooling of the hot metal will make it britle.

I’ve also heard the paint will chip off much easier in the spot you dry ice…