fixing salt/rock chips... any advice?

Over the winter I managed to accumulate a decent amount of chips in my paint. The ones on the hood and front bumper, I can live with for the time being (plan on getting them both replaced eventually anyway).

However, I have a chip on my A pillar and on the side of the car that I’d like to get taken care of asap since it’s not so easy to just replace later on. I talked with a guy at a body shop, and he told me that both sides would have to be painted, which makes sense to get it blended correctly (the chips are on different sides of the car).

He told me to just use some touch up paint but the problem is that the little spots have some rust on them (just minor surface rust). I’m not sure how I should treat them. Should I just use a dremmel tool to get it down to the bare metal? Then some self etching primer or something?

I don’t want to cover it up, only to have a rust bubble appear 2-3 years later. I’d rather nip it in the bud now, but I cannot afford a respray (nor is it worth it at this time).

any advice? The one on the side of the car is about the size of an ant. The one on the A pillar is about the size of a pencil tip

http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint-chip-repair-kit.html

you can use a rust inhibitor in the spots… like naval jelly, just put it on a Toothpick

will it harm the paint that’s already there?

thanks for the heads up man

i doubt it… but try it somewhere on a small spot to test it first… like an inner feder well or something

I’ve got a couple chips on my hood that have gotten a bit rusty and the paint is starting to peel around them. Any special recommendations for this type of situation?