Fixing the A/C in my blazer

so, i’m tired of sweating my balls off in my 94 Blazer. I don’t think the ac compressor works anymore, or it doesn’t have enough refrigerant to kick on… not sure. anyway, its an r12 system, and i’d like to change it to r134A. would a compressor off a newer blazer work? (Pewter?) i’ve also heard that if you convert r12 systems, that the condensor will clog up. is this true? any suggestions/help will be appreciated.

just pack ice in the dash and cut a few holes in the firewall. Ram air into the bags of ice and comes out as a cold breeze. problem solved

haha, nice… after researching a little, i found that this will be more involved than i originally thought. the oil in the system will also have to be changed, the whole system will have to be flushed. i’m also looking at other more compatible refrigerants.

Conversion kit to 134A, reuse everything. But should replace all the orings in the system but not always necessary.

the conversion kit from pep boys is like $35. I did it on my sho and it worked fine, the ac wasn’t as cold because 134a sucks compared to r12, but it did work.

should the system be flushed first?

I emptied mine into the atmosphere, I mean, I had it professionally done at a shop under strict EPA control.

but yea, it only took a few minutes to do the complete conversion from start to finish.

duh, why pay to have it done legally when you can just dump it into the atmosphere? i’m just kind of skeptical about doing this since my dad tried it in his 88 park avenue years ago and it stopped working shortly after. does the kit include the oils compatible with r134a?

the new oil is in a small can that you dump in first. It is really simple. Just plug the can in and turn the ac on, plug in the 134a can and turn the ac on, and it’s done. even someone like darkstar could probably figure it out.

I have seen some new ones that have the oil and coolant in the same bottle, just plug it in and turn it on.

alright, i think i’ll run out to pepboys and pick up the kit. i’ll let you know how it goes

What happens to the old oil?

turns out, my truck had already been converted, it just needed charged. a can and a half of refrigerant/oil and its blowing cool air… not ice cold, but it cools off the inside.

my take is that the oil and refrigerant are mixed within the system.

:slap:
:smiley:

how was i to know… whoever did it neglected to put the conversion sticker on.

Yes this is a very important step, I have 2 cars in my drive way that were converted and now have blown compressors due to the R12 and R134 oils not mixing. And those aren’t the only 2 I’ve seen have the same result. If you evac and use the conversion kit you “should” be ok, but I would never convert a car from r12 cause r134 sucks…

you wanna vac the system down and take out all the old oil first