For those of you in sales.... I have a question

[quote=“sureshot007,post:20,topic:30912"”]

Um, being a doctor and making your own hours > *
Plus, dentists make the most money of any doctors, because of things like their malpractice insurance is only $2500/year. You can work out of your house and not be considered “creepy”. You don’t have to take any insurance if you don’t want to be bothered with it. There are a lot of bonuses.

Sales = hard job, long hours, and stressful.

Plus, when you tell women you are a doctor, it sounds a lot better.

[/quote]

All very good points. I have weighed the pros and cons of all the medical jobs and I found virtiually zero cons with dentistry. Oral Surgery is the dream, but 4 years DDS/DMD, then 4 more years Specializing in Oral Surgery, then atleast 1 year of residencey, I will be practicing by the time I am what 32 :bloated: But it will totally be worth it in the end.

I would not mind doing sales though for a few years before I have no financial income at all. I figure I will be around 250-300K in debt depending where I go. Unless I go to UB :tup:

[quote=“tpgsr,post:7,topic:30912"”]

I am inside sales for my company. I sit at a desk all day and take customer calls, and negotiate with vendors for different pricing and special situations. I will be outside sales quite shortly, and that is a position where you are the #1 point of contact for the customer.not only do you maintain existing accounts, you are expected to grow business and land new accounts. The company i work for is Rexel, we are the largest electrical distributor in the world and inside sales still pays like dog shit. Outside is generally between 55k to mid 100. Oh… Outside sales also has to deal with 99% of the problems that arise on a day to day basis since they are the point man.

Retail is retail, car dealer is retail, inside sales is typically a distributor or service situation answering calls and responding to needs. Some companies often mix these ideals and will call a telemarketer “inside sales” nope. You are still a telemarketer. Taking a sales position you really need to ask an interviewer lots of questions and get a feel for what type of position you are being thrown into. Also, presently i only make 1% of profit as a commission. THat is perfect because there is a decent base behind it. if they offer you a small base and say you have to work for your commissions, be leary.

[/quote]

Ha I used to buy from Rexel all the time when I was with Goodyear (Dan Forcuchi spelling?) I just spun through the rolodex and came across a Micheal Burgio business card, is this you??? Also If Chris Oshie (spelling? pronounced O shy) is still there tell him Jerry said to get off the phone with the WGR 550 guys and do some work !!!

Having just left an outside sales job I have a pretty good perspective of sales jobs. Basically if you want to inflict pain and suffering on people then go to dental school. If you want to have the pain and suffering dumped on your shoulders then by all means get into sales.

I suggest the dental school !!

I always thought that inside sales was selling to clients that the business already has or the business generates from a storefront.

Outside sales is calling random people or marketing yourself.