Sales guys...

So im currently working my first sales job and i seem to be struggling a little. now iv been doing it for about 2 months now and after my first month, i finished with 14.5 sales. now my brother who has been doing sales at this job for a little over 2 years finished one deal ahead of me. He has had multiple sales jobs and i know a few of you guys know him from past jobs. (geehee/92slowcivic) pretty sure both of you guys watched him fire eric for knocking that kid out at the speedway too hahaha

Anyways, back on topic! Our gross’s, eh thats a dfferent story. lets just say im not exactly hitting my gross’s, but all of them just seem to be just under.

I know of all places, nyspeed is not the best place to look for advice, but i know a few guys who have done sales and know a thing or two.

Any good reads/movies that can inspire me or show me the ropes on how to be a better closer.

I have seen the ultimate movie on closing, “Boiler Room” and i also just watched “Wall Street”.

Any help would be appreciated, I’v been doing fairly well, but I know I need to get better and I want to do it quickly.

what are you selling? what company are you working for?

selling rv’s for buffalorv. my whole family works there and i used to as well. Theres a couple members who work there as well in different departments.

skip to 6:40

^x2

read tons of books, market yourself, market your products, and practice… movies normally dont relate to real life situations…

connect with the people on a “relating” level… make them comfortable and build trust.

ps. the video i just posted was just something they used to play at NYLife… soo annoying. :lol:

good luck, im going to bed

I would need to know what you’re selling, keep in mind go big or go home doesn’t always apply. I.E 10 sales in a month at 10k equals more than 5 sales at 12k. When I first started off my biggest mistake was trying to over sell.

The other advice I can give you is to learn to blend, not everyone is going to like you and the just be yourself doesn’t apply here.

edit I typed this before the past few posts

basically i sell anything from $2,000 to $300,000. Tonight i was showing a $160,000 motorhome to a guy looking to to trade his 38’ toyhauler fifthwheel as well as his F-350 dually diesel in on a new motorhome. In the end i showed him too little for his trade and he walked on me. Also didnt help that what i was showing him was way outa his price range.

How to Sell a Car Today by Joe Verde. See if you can sign up for his online training program @ jvtn.com, if you need more I’ll try and get you a list of the books I’ve read.

Joe Verde is real good, Dave Anderson, John Maxwell. Good leadership stuff on top of selling skills.

good luck!

i was just there today, lol.

movies…no. take a sales class or a sales seminar. everyone has their own “method”, but they all say the same essential thing.

example:

pre-planning/prep --> greeting --> presentation --> let the customer speak --> trial close > meet objections > 2nd trial close > etc etc etc

the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED TO DO IS ASK FOR THE ORDER at the end of the meeting. most people don’t do this out of fear or whatever other reason and it’s their biggest downfall.

it is very important to LET the CUSTOMERS SPEAK*** …hear what they are looking for and what their “issue” is. sell the value of the product, and know you product inside and out

^^^what were you looking at and who did you deal with?

i was with my dad (we were doing business stuff), but we sneaked in real quick to borrow a catalog regarding an awning for a trailer. spoke to mike moran and derek scheler (sp)… i graduated with them

this will sound like something you wouldn’t expect out of a salesman, however I was a sales trainer for almost two years and extremely good at what I did.

DO NOT be overly pushy you can only ask for the sale so many ways and a lot of it will have to do with your personality. In this case you are dealing with high dollar items and a luxury item at that. You need to in-directly convince them it is a need and not a want. Paint a picture for them show of them in the product and a vivid picture at that.

Also correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t you one of the guys that said on here “I make more in a week than your car is worth” to someone?

Don’t be that guy, that mentality follows you around whether you realize it or not and will kill the trust with a customer that already assumes they won’t like you before they even met you.

i agree, i just didn’t have time to go into detail.

but too many times i see people present a product and do a relatively good sales job, but then just let the customer walk away with not even as much as an explanation as to why they are, in fact, walking away.

for more involved sales, you want to know your customers’ business inside and out, and “show” them how your product or service is going to benefit their lives for whatever they are doing. basically along the same lines as what afxtc777 said

well i have the problem of people not respecting me enough as to remember my name. yesterday my brother asked a guy if he was being taken care of, the guy said yeah, jasons helping me. wtf?

im trying to build rapport, but at the same time let the customer know i mean business without being too direct. maybe thats not right?

wear a nametag…

jk. its all in the way you present yourself. professional, yet personable. product knowledge…etc

just need a lot of experience. im by no means an expert, but i’m lucky to be surrounded by some of the best real life teachers 24/7.
if you have the chance, Salesforce Management at UB with Bob Grow is a great class. he’s an adjunct teacher who works at Rich’s. The class teaches a lot of the basics, but could be pretty valuable for a noob.

best way I can put this, go out hit on as many girls as you can find and try and take them home(If you’re not like that walk away before you seal the deal just get the commitment) you need to learn to relinquish any and all fear of rejection you have(don’t tell me you don’t have a fear of it we all do to a certain extent) Once you overcome that you’re golden.

The other advice I can give you is never beat yourself up we all fuckup and lose deals it happens to the best of it. The worst part is, no matter how hard you try to hide you’re upset you can’t people can always tell.

Sounds corny but ever hear the saying you visualize you win? Guess what, it fucking works.

I am too tired to read all responses, and on top of that I have to write a letter of resignation tonight as I have accepted a better sales position. From what I know, and what I have been taught the sales process is:

1. listen to your customer
  2. relate and build a relationship with your customer
  3. listen to your customer
  4. provide a service or benefit that your competition that your competition can not offer
  5. listen to your customer
  6. sell the benefits and advantages of your product
  7. listen to your customer
  8. ask for the sale, create a sense of urgency

I think that you get the idea of my list. Sales is based on three main principals:
Customer, Customer, Customer.

I could be wrong, but I make a lot of money and close a lot of sales for a guy with a wrong idea.

you forgot number 9, ask for referrals

Another good principal to add is your time management skills, a good course that will really make you realize how much time you waste is by franklin covey. I can’t think of the name off the top of my head but I think it’s called the oz principal.