Ford executives confirm EcoBoost Mustang rumors

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/ecoboost-20-four-cylinder-585x388.jpg
Rumors of an EcoBoost-powered Ford Mustang have been around for quite some time now, and why not? Ford has added an EcoBoost option to nearly every car, truck and SUV in their lineup, so it only makes sense that the Mustang would eventually get one as well. Now, according to Car and Driver, those rumors have been confirmed to be true.
During a dinner with Ford executives, Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of global product development, acknowledged that an EcoBoost Mustang was on the way. “Given the success we’ve had with EcoBoost across the lineup that we’ve talked about, it’s fair to assume that we will have an EcoBoost Mustang in the very near future,” he told Car and Driver.
So which EcoBoost variant would Ford put in the Mustang? According to C&D, the engine will be a four-cylinder unit similar to the 2.0-liter version seen in the 247 horsepower Focus ST, slotting in below the current 3.7-liter V6. And when can we expect the EcoBoost Mustang to make an official appearance? Car and Driver believes we’ll see it in the next year or two, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see it first appear in the next generation Mustang that will make its debut in 2014 as a 2015 model.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/01/11/ford-executives-confirm-ecoboost-mustang-rumors/

I hope this is in addition to the V6, not to replace it.

They should just do the 6cyl ecoboost and get rid of the current 6cyl

That doesn’t make sense though, because then you wouldn’t have a “base” Mustang. The 6cyl ecoboost is too much motor for the typical v6 Mustang buyer.

Saw this coming…

Man, if they go through with it the aftermarket for the Ecoboost motors is going to go through the ROOF. One of those ecoboost V6’s with a manual trans and those worked over heads SomeDude posted on here would make for a REALLY potent sleeper mustang…

The worked over heads SomeDude posted are V6 heads, this is a 4cyl.

I think you’ll see the ecoboost v6 in a mustang eventually, but it will probably replace the V8 in the GT. The Obama CAFE requirements are too high to keep selling the GT with a V8. They can keep a V8 as an option in specialty models like the Boss or Laguna Seca since they’re such low volume, but they sell so many GT’s that the V8 is a big hit against their CAFE. I think they’re starting with the 4 banger to show that their modern turbo engines are not the abortion that their first turbo Mustang was.

The end of the V8 will mean the death of the Mustang if it ever comes to that.

99% of Mustang drivers on the road don’t give a shit about the motor anyways. They drive it because it’s a “stang bro”.

Good ole V6 convertible lol.

I have to imagine there will be tons of room in the engine bay to throw just about any turbo setup on this for real power. The price will make or break this model.

Next thing you know there going to make the mustang FWD!!

This is true but…

I feel this way but it would only be dead to me. I’m sure sales may take a hit but the Mustang will keep selling as long as Ford keeps making them. Never have owned a Mustang, but whenever the day comes that I finally buy one, it’ll be V8 or bust.

They tried that in the late '80s I believe, and because of all the negative reactions from possible customers that FWD Mustang concept ended up becoming the Probe. I seriously hope they don’t try and make that same mistake…