new mustang = twin turbo?

the twin turbo V6 will be the D35T. it is already slated for production in the 09 lincoln MKS and has been given a rating of 340/340 with almost all of its torque avaliable from 1500rpm to almost 5500rpm. I did not know that this engine was also going in the fusion but that would be awsome. there is also talk on blueoval news.com that the D35T will be going in the 2010 F150 as well as a new diesel engie.

Although Ford’s being doing it tough over the past few years, the current-generation S197-platformed Mustang has been a runaway sales hit since its launch in 2005. Now Ford is giving its reborn ponycar its first serious freshening. The basics will remain the same, but the workover will be thorough. Coupe and convertible bodystyles will still be offered, with V-6 and a variety of V-8 powertrains.

http://images.motortrend.com/features/112_0803_01s+2010_Mustang_GT+profile_image.jpghttp://www.motortrend.com/images/viewlarger.gif
But here’s the shock news: We hear there is a faction at Ford seriously contemplating fitting the new twin turbo EcoBoost V-6 to the 2010 Mustang. As they try to figure out how to meet 35mpg CAFE by 2020, Ford engineers are wondering whether the V-8 has a long term future. The EcoBoost engine, which is currently scheduled to debut in a performance version of the Fusion, could be the more fuel efficient alternative for Mustang in the long term. Depending on spec, the EcoBoost is capable of up to at least 415hp, and has the torque to match a regular V-8.

Traditionalists need not worry, though - V-8s will still be very much part of the Mustang program for 2010. If the EcoBoost version does make production, Ford would probably offer it alongside the V-8, and let buyers decide which they prefer. There won’t be much of a price difference, if any - although the base V-6 is a cheaper engine, by the time things like turbochargers are added it’s basically V-8 money, say our sources.

http://images.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_071207_01s+2010_ford_mustang+front.jpghttp://www.motortrend.com/images/viewlarger.gifThese two spy photos hint at revised front/rear fascia and lighting treatments.

Don’t expect any changes in today’s, base 4.0-liter V-6 offering, as its prime purpose is motivating low-end and rental-fleet Mustangs. But the Mustang GT model’s V-8-currently a 4.6 liter, SOHC, three-valver-will be replaced by a new 5.0-liter engine that’s essentially an evolution of the old architecture. In fact, the new 5.0 may even appear in a limited edition run-out series of current model Mustang GTs - is it finally time for the reborn Boss 302?

One Ford engineer confirmed that the work done to create the Bullitt-edition Mustang’s uprated 4.6 “has a future.” That engine, described in our first test story (January 2008) remains internally stock, but breathes better due to a Ford Racing open element, cold air intake system, revised mufflers, a new crank damper (which ups the redline by 250 revs), and revised fuel mapping. This engine management programming allows the use of regular fuel, but switches to a more aggressive timing curve when it detects premium in the tank. The result is 315 horsepower, up from the current GT’s 300. The Bullitt’s V-8 is freer and quicker revving than before, and sounds great due to the new intake. There’s no reason to think the next gen GT’s powerplant won’t take its cue from this technology, and thus get the same tricks. Something like 325 to 350 horses out of the new 5.0-liter V-8 sounds feasible.

http://images.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_071207_03s+2010_ford_mustang+taillights.jpghttp://www.motortrend.com/images/viewlarger.gifSingle exhaust indicates it’s likely a V-6-powered mule.

That takes care of standard Mustang models. What about the Shelby versions?

Our intel had the 500-horsepower, supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 in the Ford Shelby GT500 pegged for a two-year or so life-that being 2007 and 2008, perhaps rolling into '09 depending on how well it sold, and what Shelby’s own product plans were. Demand has proven strong, and we can confirm there’ll be a Ford built, developed, and produced Shelby GT500 version of the 2010 Mustang.

everyone is looking at high powered v6’s. Stupid gas regulations

Wheres buick GN!!

When the hell is Ford going to make a 400hp N/A V8 to put in the Mustangs? At the very least bring back the Cobra motor!

actually they are bringing back the 302 pushrod setup in certain models

mmmmm who cares look at the power banddd

besides the 03-04 Cobra… Ford hasnt made a mustang that can beat an F body from 10 years ago… that is sad…

and this has me worried-
“Ford engineers are wondering whether the V-8 has a long term future.”
sounds like something out of the late 1970’s

a twin turbo v6 F150 sounds interesting

Beat it in what? They are cheaper and still around. Sounds like Mustang is the clear winner. :gotme:

funny thing is, in the real world

turbos don’t necessarily fix fuel economy

IMO, the day Ford stops putting a V8 in the Mustang, they might as well just re-name the car cuz it aint a Mustang anymore.

and yes, i do realize that the early Mustangs had an inline 6 in them, but still…

late 80s and early 90s with 4 bangers were garbage except the SVOs

I think they clearly stated that the turbo V6 is going in to improve their average milage.

yeah but they still had a 5.0 V8 option. just like the 6 cyl now is the lower-end one, but they have a V8 still.

I dont think your average “muscle car” buyer is buying that type of car for gas mileage.

except in sales :slight_smile:

General public is dumb so thats why they build crappers … to satisfy them

Sure, when you’re talking about a GT500, Bullitt, or w/e high end or FI version they roll out. Buyers of those models are in it for the “muscle”…

I’m willing wager a few bucks that the majority of the New GT (or w/e the standard V8 model is called) are not muscle car enthusiast primarily. People that weigh MPG with the same levity as 1/4 mile times.

If its stock, they are posers :slight_smile:

Where you hear this?

you’re actually probably right…i see more older guys prob having a mid life crisis sort of thing going on driving newer Mustang GTs than younger people these days…

I want to build a SVO in an AWD tempo.

OR

Put fart cannons on a SVO mustang.

I think Ford will manage to mess it up even if they do make it. :frowning: