Next EcoBoost candidate

Mustang? Discuss.

I think this is exciting news. My money is on it being the 4cyl ecoboost. That would make a stellar road course car if they can get a bit more weight off the front end. It would make a very piratical daily driver.

Yarrr matey :lol:

Screw the 4, better be the 6.

ecoboost is fawking awesome. The power the new mustang makes seems so overexaggerated.
I mean the GT runs 12.80-13.00
and the shelby GT500 runs 12.00-12.40 (with 550hp) just seems so slow for the power and money.
I can’t wait for the huge aftermarket on the ecoboost over the next ten years.

New SVO?

^
that’s what I was thinking…

Traction, or the lack of it is the reason for those times. Plenty of stock GT500s running 11s and mild suspension mods in the 10s.

5.0 eco boost. Yes please.

there has been rumors of that from day one. I have never herd it was anything other than people wishing though. I think a new SVO would be inline with ford trying to utilize existing branding to prop sales. That is the main reason the SHO was actually brought back. The branding was solid and they knew there would be a massive amount of free press that would come along with bringing the brand back. It would not surprise me one bit to see the SVO back. I would welcome it!

Bringing the SVO back would be awesome. Hands down. But as for the 4cyl vs. 6cyl EcoBoost engine for the Mustang, I’d say 3.5 all the way. In my opinion, I don’t really see anyone buying a 4cyl Mustang. No doubt it would create a perfect HP to MPG ratio, but thats not why people buy Mustangs. There are pleanty of good cars a 4cyl EcoBoost could be dropped into, but I don’t think a Mustang is one of them.

I agree that the 6cyl ecoboost would be killer BUT it would not make sense in their engine lineup.

2.0 4cyl 250hp
3.7 6cyl 305
5.0 8cyl 400

to put a 365hp engine in there does not make sense in my mind. Not denying that it would be fun but I think the 4cyl would have outstanding balance in the corners. I would not be surprised to see them drop the 6cyl as a option all together. I am really looking forward to seeing a S/C 5.0 soon too. They are already in production in AU. I think they will play the SVO card either way.

Have you looked at Ford’s truck engine lineup? It sounds exactly like the Mustang lineup you’re saying doesn’t make any sense. lol.

I’m not saying it makes sense, but it is exactly what Ford has already done.

I totally agree that the 4cyl EcoBoost would make the most sense for the current line up, but I’m just not sure how well it would sell. I just can’t really see people buying a 4cyl Mustang.

If anything I’m thinking they might ditch the 6 for the 4+snail.

I bet it is the v6 turbo, I dont think they are going to offer something with less HP than the current V6.

they won’t, they’ll replace the ~ 300hp V6 with a ~300hp 4+snail that gets better MPG and has more torque.

Even if it is the 3.5, they could certainly still label it “SVO”.

I’d hope they’d turn it into more of a focused road car, similar to the first SVO. They haven’t disappointed so far, 300 horse in the base cars, 400 in the GT, the new Shelby is leaps ahead of the older cars and the Boss 302 is a track scalpel.

Ford does not make a 300HP 4 cyl ecoboost

The 300HP NA v6 makes 280lb/ft of torque, the 247HP ecoboost makes 266lb/ft.

I doubt there would be much MPG difference either since the V6 already gets 31 MPG.

Wait… what?

Ford does not make a 247hp ecoboost…

Wrong. Ecoboost V6 makes 365hp and 420lb-ft of torque at 12psi of boost and delivers up to 22mpg on zeee hwy - in the F-150 anyway, provided you can keep your foot out of it.