Drove the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost before it hits showrooms in Feb/March 2011

Well… I can say that you would never be able to guess this truck had a V6 in it (I guess the twin turbos would be the reason for that). It’s the same motor has the SHO as far as I know. Power came in around 1800 RPM and pulled hard all the way to redline, up to the 100 MPH limiter (The rep claimed the limiter was lowered because regular people would be testing that particular truck and not professionals). Nice torque the entire way through the rev range. The model I drove was a Lariat… it was full loaded. Nav, premium stereo, back-up cam, all the bells and whistles. I was pleasantly suprised. Sure gets up and goes. 365 HP, 420 TQ. Best driving truck I’ve been in, hands down compared to the other trucks I’ve driven recently (2010 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L, 2007 F-150 Lariat 5.4L, 2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L). It was super solid, brakes and steering felt great, handled nice for a truck. Definitely did not feel or drive like it was as big as it is.
I think the rep told me it could tow 11,000 lbs and something around 3,000 for payload.

It was brought to my apartment earlier today. It’s a pre-production model and will not be available until February or March. I got an e-mail from Ford one day, asked where I was located and brought the truck to me to test drive and give feedback. All I can say was I was impressed. Super nice truck.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1204.snc4/155678_10150126713242729_591197728_7827990_6594824_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs604.ash2/155678_10150126713247729_591197728_7827991_6153548_n.jpg

very nice, i hope they don’t have a lot of problems. it’ll be kinda weird to pull a turbo off a gas engine

That’s what I was talking to the rep about. I said “I’m curious to see where it’s at around 50k miles,” he just replied that I wouldn’t find out, this particular truck is going to the crash test department when the testing is over. I really am curious though, the truck was impressive. It had 1,031 miles when I drove it earlier today.

From what I understand, it’s towing capabilities are supposed to be on par with the new 6.2L gas V8 that are now available.

yeah they junk all the pre-production vehicles. all the cars we use at the training center are eventually destroyed too.

i was actually already trained on the ecoboost 3.5L. it’s pretty interesting, not really that bad to work on. its nice to already have some diesel experience because a lot of it is the same. turbos, direct injection, high pressure fuel and MAP sensors are all already used on newer powerstrokes. all the ecoboosts are speed density systems, no MAF

saw it yesterday on lebonon church road in west mifflin. didnt think they were out yet. but just let it pass in my head… cool truck and whats the mpg on that thing compared to a 6.2 gas

Best driving truck I’ve been in, hands down compared to the other trucks I’ve driven recently (2010 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L, 2007 F-150 Lariat 5.4L, 2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L). It was super solid, brakes and steering felt great, handled nice for a truck. Definitely did not feel or drive like it was as big as it is.

What makes that F150 different from the V8 F150’s?? Is the chassis different? Or is the motor feel making the difference?

I think the EcoBoost is supposed to get 23.9 MPG highway and the 6.2L is supposed to get 17 MPG highway.

I’m not sure about the chassis, but something was different from the '07 I drove. Felt stiffer/more solid. Handled nicer. Motor felt like it had more power than the 5.4, and it was just the 3.5L TT V6.

cool. but then again anything has more power than 5.4 lol.

How did you sign up to receive “test-drive my pre-production car” emails?

Was the 2007 new when you drove it? New vehicles always seem to feel good since everything is still tight on them, and is a novelty. Kind of like driving rental cars - hey this car isn’t too bad, then within 20 miles you start to hate it. :dunno: Not that you would necessarily hate this truck, just wondering if this contributed to it.

The '07 had around 30k on it at the time. Driving anything but my car is a treat. I’m sure it having 1k miles on it had something to do with it, but it was still very nice. I have no use for a truck really other than 4WD, but I’d still like one.

obi-1 - I’m not exactly sure. I might have signed up for something at the Auto Show or Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at the Ford displays. Hopefully I get more of them, I’d like to drive anything they can throw at me.

all the ecoboosts are speed density systems, no MAF

Wow, that’s wild…wonder why?

I’d always been under the impression that MAF based FI was way more accurate than speed density?

all because of the turbos. i guess with 2 map sensors(one before the throttle plate and one after) ford feels they can more accurately gauge incoming air

i want one

I do too. So many great engines available right now. 3.7L (300 HP), 3.5L TT (365), 5.0L (360), 6.2L (411), and the new Powerstroke (400/800 tq).

I’m pretty sure I’d buy a Raptor with the 6.2L or an F250 with the Powerstroke if I had the money. But I don’t. So I can keep dreaming, anyway.

I have just starting shopping for a new truck. I like the Tundra because you can get a 4-door with a 8ft bed but I also like the new f-series. I really like the Raptors but don’t know if it would do what I need it to do, haul dirtbikes and quads and maybe a Rhino in a year or two, it only tows 6000 lbs(I think). I do like the way they look and they are not much more than a regular f150.

My brother just got a 2011 f250 with a diesel that is a very nice truck but I don’t want to spend more than $50k on a truck right now.

Yeah, that’s the problem… The prices are up there. I looked at a 2011 F-350 King Ranch and it was tipping the scales at $65k. Yikes.

any real boosted setup is SD… less variables to deal with. You cant beat the accuracy of SD

curious as to why ford used a v6 instead of a v8, probably cause of that whole green bullshit

Probably so one could have a fully functional full-size pickup without breaking the bank keeping gas in it…

that v6 isnt getting much better then a v8, least the new DOD ones