Ford Fusion

both taurus car club and shoforum have been discussing the fusion and fords future plans for some time and this is one thing that comes up all the time.

now what makes you think ford is going to turbo charge anything???

Power in a Compact, Modern Package
Ford’s new V-6 produces 250 horsepower and 240 pound-feet of torque with a 3.5-liter displacement unit with a height and width that is the same as Ford’s smaller Duratec 30 V-6. This enables Ford to install the engine in a wide variety of current and future products.

In developing the new engine, Ford engineers targeted excellent performance, fuel economy and low exhaust emissions. In addition, engineers designed the engine to work together in harmony with Ford’s new 6F 6-speed automatic. By analyzing the transaxle and engine together, noise, vibration and harshness characteristics of the powertrain were optimized to ensure a quiet, trouble-free driving experience.

The all-new 3.5-liter V-6 architecture provides significant flexibility to incorporate additional engine technologies. The 3.5-liter engineering team included extra provisions to make upgrades relatively simple. These upgrades include such potential features as hybrid capability, gasoline direct injection and direct-injection turbo charging.

source: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=21985&make_id=trust

on a rumor this engine is going in both the fivehundred and fusion as well as some other aplications, ford is slowly turning their act around… oh and for you honda boys.

The iVCT system uses a hydraulically actuated spool valve that can rotate the intake camshafts up to 40 degrees within a half-second

Ford’s new 3.5-liter engine is PZEV capable right out of the box.

click here for specs on the fusion
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fusion/features/specs/

the 6sp automatic is 7% more efficent that the previous front drive trannies + 2 more gears so you get better effecentcy and MUCH better gearing, if you think that they are going to be slow because the HP numbers arn’t hot shit race a fivehundred you might be suprised at how well they move for a big car (not saying there fast though).

I think the SVT fusion will definately be something special

pretty sure the svt version is going to have the turbo four, awd setup of the mazda 6, but knowing ford, that may change.

That would be interesting.

it will be stick, too.

car and driver said the 500 had a hard time getting out of its own way… :gotme:

it does, it has the duratec 3.0 and 200bhp to move something like 3900lbs+.

the 3.5 absolutely should have been the base motor for this car, or at least made available.

The Five Hundred has a CVT. It makes the most out of its power. The SUV thing…they have…has the same transmission. I’ve driven one, and it wouldn’t say it’s severely underpowered. Actually, I think the CVT approach is much smarter than a bigger engine.

They are actually very nice cars. Its the same old 3L Duratec motor just boosted up to 220hp. My buddy has one. I’ve driven the Lincoln Zephyrs (Lincoln version of it). It was pretty nice, motor pulled decent with that 6sp auto. The 500 is much larger than the Taurus was. There really is no “replacement” for the Taurus per say. The Fusion is just the new midsize which I believe actually has more room inside than the Taurus did. If the V6 came with a manual (and I didn’t quit my old job) I probably would have bought one.

Add a picture of an Infinity G35 next to the fusion and caddy.

Meh, i think they look better in pictures then in person. I saw a few today…

The back: looked like a larger focus and the taillights were cheap looking.

The front: The Ford emblem in the front grill looks oversized and ugly

The side: borring…thats about it

Its almost like they looked at the caddy and said, lets make it less appealing because its a ford, not a caddy. :tdown:

they seem to be pretty nice. The people on the focus boards are all excited, it doesn’t sound too exciting to me though. There are turbo kits developed already for the 2.3l, which you can get with a five speed. There were quite a few at sema too

http://www.draxas.com/images/fusion/fusion3.jpghttp://www.focaljet.com/FSWerks/FSWerksFusion_01.jpg
:gotme:
even funkmaster flex got in on it
http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3060000000051616.JPG?0.06045986103497836

Kinda looks like it got it on with an audi and cadilac when you look at it in person. If it came with the CVT/Stick, and more power I’d rock one. As it is though it weighs more than my 89 SHO, and has the same amount of power with a lesser powerband.

Not even interested until they give it some more power.

Something about that car bugs me, and I can’t put my finger on it…

As it is though it weighs more than my 89 SHO, and has the same amount of power with a lesser powerband

if you mean YOUR SHO then your probably right but you saw what my SHO weighed at the scales (3800lb), if you read through the articles posted you will see the 6sp ATX gained 7% drivetrain effentcy offer the previous transmissions and obviously has 2 more gears so I would put up $20 and say that it would beat my SHO with out hesitation.

Its the same old 3L Duratec motor just boosted up to 220hp

actually its 221 :smiley: and this engine is IVVT, when coupled with the 3.5 it will move pretty good, I keep hearing rumors trickle through the taurus boards saying that ford is devloping a 6sp manual so IF its true that would be nice. when ford makes a SVT I can assure you they will not make their top of the line version a 4 cylinder even if it is boosted, probably a beafed up 3.0/3.5 or possibly boos on one of them, I do think for once that ford has devloped a car that will have a good aftermarket unlike the taurus and countour (the 3.5 swaps in the contour will be somehting to watch for)

snip potential features as hybrid capability, gasoline direct injection and direct-injection turbo charging.