Ford trying to shut down vehicle based forums and filing lawsuits

lol.

That is some shitty customer service right there.

Go Ford!

awesome, let them go under, ford has been having trouble giving cars away anyways, might as well attack thier customers.
Another reason to buy honda when looking for a new vehicle.

wow, ridiculous.

I’ve never understood how these car companies think doing shit like this is in their best interest. Like when they wanted people to take down images of their own Mustangs from a site, or whatever it was last year. I understand trademark laws, but people getting together because they love their products is great free advertising. When Volkswagen started going after every website and aftermarket company that used their logos and names (enthusiast sites, clubs, and companies that re-popped NLA parts), it produced a whole crop of vintage VW enthusiasts who now refuse to buy a new VW/Audi product as their daily drivers. Way to dig an even deeper hole Ford.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=39227200797&h=V0Jit

They also risk losing the right to their own names through this. If appealed high enough (out of michigan courts), I bet an opposing lawyer could prove that the names have become common.

Like ‘kleenex’ is to tissue

Bad move ford…

Brilliant post!

I agree 100%

You think Ford is going to lose its name to a forum? :banghead:

Its a “RUMOR” nothing more nothing less.This rumor has been going on for the last two years.

Now get off Fords nuts…

not just to a forum, lawsuits cause stupid shit to happen.

VW does this big time. VWvortex is one of the very few that’ allowed to use the vw logo. used to be a t-shirt company called “dublogic” who stole all sorts of cool vintage (obsolete) vw logo’s who got shut down. vwaddiction.com is now vdubaddicition and there’s a ton more. so it’s not a big deal for them to try to clean house on using lic’d trademarks.

Wow…
Stupid fucking people.

How could the higher up guys at ford let this happen?
I could see if theres forums that all they did was bash Ford’s, but these are enthusiasts of YOUR product. DONT piss them off. They already have enough reasons to pick some other manufacturer.

How is it just a rumor? These forums are sending their members notices.

yes they do

fuck Ford

So thats pretty beat! way to be an asshole towards loyal customers. you would think they would be for it. maybe happy that people are putting a good word out about there trucks/cars.

Sounds about right. Ford was trying to say it owned the rights to any pictures of it’s cars since they had since they had logo’s on them, then they said it was a misunderstanding. There was a thread here about a year ago: http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43526

But in their open letter, Ford mentions this: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=27542

Maybe it’s just another misunderstanding? That, or someone on Fords legal team just hates the internet…

My co-worker is on the Ranger website, and they all received an email this morning from them. It stated that Ford said they are allowed to keep their website name, and they do not have to pay the $5000, but they must stop selling the window stickers with the Ford logo on it. They received an “overwhelming number” of emails from upset people, so this is why they came up with this compromise.

-mark

I heard about this last year with the Mustang issue. It was/is a trademark issue. I cant say if anything came of it though or if it is just a rumor.

The same thing happened to IWSTI back in the day when it was call ImprezaWrxSTI.com. Subaru wouldnt allow them to use Impreza WRX, so it was shortened.