Legal actions against forums?

So I was reading a thread on my350z.com on how some guy’s thread got deleted, because a bunch of people started posting their experiences with Prestige Motors, a local dealership, and suprise suprise, they had some very bad things to say about them. The dealership threatened to sue Internet Brands, the owner of my350z.com and various other forums, and this is why the thread was deleted. Internet Brands admitted to this, and after 5 pages of everyone demanding their memberships refunded, the thread was restored, however any reference to the dealership’s name was removed. Many individuals still have sig pics saying the dealership is crooked, but they also have had their name edited out by the admin.
I’m weary about posting my personal experience with them here (it’s actually where I got the G), because I don’t want any legal action taken against this place. Quite frankly, I kinda like it here. But I still thought it was an interesting topic, and well worth discussing, so I figured I’d post it up.

thats interesting. but isnt a forum a place where anything can be said about anything? i am confused as to how a board can be suied? the board is not slandering anyone, the users are.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/internet-24591.jpg

I think when a board is run by a large corporation, they are more cautious of things like that, and more willing to censor their user base. They are only there to make money, they have no delusions of community. Remember, we have a very rare setup here. SON is run “by the people, for the people” without anyone making a significant profit. Also, we have accountability the likes of which you will not find anywhere else. Corporate owned forums generally do what they want, without having to explain or answer to their users in any way.

I’m pretty sure that a dealership will not come and sue Bing. So was your experience with them pleasant?

Hell fucking no :smiley:
First, they changed the wheels on my car from the 19" forged Rays it was supposed to come with, to the early model ones. After I called them on it, they said they were getting me tires for the rear, because they were too worn. My passenger window was making an annoying sound, and they said they would take care of it. They ended up screwing it up to the point that it didn’t seal at all, and whistled on the highway. Took it to Infiniti to the tune of a $300 repair bill. Finally, my biggest beef though, everytime I left my car there for one of these things to get done, they would keep it for 2 days, and do absolutely nothing. When I’d come back, it would still be exactly the same as I left it, and I had to come back 3 times for the same thing, because I needed my car for stuff. Not only that, the last time I left it there, they put mileage on it, and there was a scratch on my rear bumper, which they claimed was always there.
My experience with them, pales in comparison to some of the shit they’ve done to other people, and the horror stories from some of the 350z guys.
Oh, another neat bit. Before I bought my car, there was another IP coupe there, with heavy front end damage, that they were working on. I went there several times, so I got to see the car with the damage, and then again when it was being repainted. The time when it was being repainted, I was offered that car. I told them I didn’t want it, because it had been in an accident. The guy told me it merely had stone chips on the front bumper, and was being repainted because of that. I called him on it, and asked him what kind of crooked business they run, lying to customers like that, when I clearly saw the car before. He said he didn’t know, and had mistaken it for “another white G”. Ivory Pearl is one of the rarest colours, and at any given time, it’s almost impossible to find an IP 6MT for sale. He was obviously lying. Honestly, that should have been a sign for me to immediately get out of there, but I was too in love with my car so I bought it anyway. Luckily, my car turned out fine, but I paid top dollar for it, so it’s not like I got a deal. They had a lot of affordable cars on their lot, but they were all in VERY bad shape.

In the future, I would advise anyone to stay as far as possible from them. I think Cal bought his IS there too, and I seem to recall him having problems with them as well.

Is this an independent dealer or are they linked to a manufacturer?

Sounds shady as hell…no wonder people are afraid of used cars.

You have a sick car though!

They’re an independent dealer, and they specialize in “high end” cars. They have a 360 Modena convertible on display in the main showroom, that I’m sure is just there to make them look credible, because it’s been there for years.
Edit: I found the thread, their name is blanked out in every post
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350046
Thanks :slight_smile: I put a lot of work in keeping it looking good, so it’s always appreciated when someone notices.

Edit: RFD feedback thread:

Wow some dealerships are messed up, I cant believe some people buy cars from people like that.

I’ve read something similar on a local forum (vitalmotion) a user had body work done by a shop in town and was not pleased with their work so he trashed their name every chance he got and had posted all over VM + in his signature saying not to deal with them and blah blah…

Body shop ended up taking legal action against the user threating him with slander or some shit saying they had lost work due to him and if he keeps it up than it will goto court.

Now I’m not 100% sure what all happened etc cause it was years ago and I barely remember but I know they threatened him with something and he toned right down.

if what you say is true and you can prove it then let them sue.

it’s only a crime to lie.

living in fear of being sued is for pussies.

i’ve been sued for $1M before and here i am living to tell you all about it. Heck, i dont even really know how it ended up.

The courts can smell bullshit suits… so unless there is serious dollars behind it it wont be going very far.

Exactly, it’s not slander, or libel if it’s true.

dealers are for suckers anyway y go only if u get it repaired under warrenty witch u still have to pay a deductable.

That made no sense?

I think he ment to say “I” not “y”. Also there are shady dealerships everywhere. I actually just finished up my 6 month co-op placement at a local nissan dealership, and they dont take car of their used cars. They basically buy them from nearby dealerships for dirt cheap, fix them up, make them look good, and jack up the price. When nobody buys them, they sit outside all year round, through snow storms, rain, wind, hail, w.e, and get shined up once every 4-5 months, or after someone comes along and decides to buy them thinking its a good deal. The same goes with lay-away. All of those G35’s from 2005-2006, just sitting there, taking up the elements, not even being serviced, they just sit there and rot. There may not be any EXTREME amount of damage done to the car, but there are always issues with them that may lead to something big in the future. So the next time you go looking for a car, and find a honda in a mazda dealership, think twice. Also i have nothing to worry or care about, I’ve witnessed most of this shit first hand, everyone is trying make some chump change.

Aah, well the only reason they were the ones repairing it, is because they agreed to repair it for free, because I had it put in the contract. When it became painfully obvious that they will only continue to make the problem worse, and joyride in my car, I just cut my losses and had Infiniti repair it instead.

what happened to freedom of speech?

if users who are FORMER CUSTOMERS are simply posting their opinions of that place based on experience, who’s to tell me i’m not allowed to share it?
fuck that, censorship is for pussies.

a crooked used car dealer…

holy shit… put up the bat signal… surely he can save us…

I know, that’s why there’s so much outrage on my350z.com. Corporate interests are burying the user’s right to warn others.

what do you expect though, when money makes the world go 'round? :wink: