Fort Erie NASCAR Track (Canadian Motor Speedway) *Construction: 2017*

Saw this today. I still don’t believe it will get built until I see the first piece of heavy machinery on site.

with a target to complete the facility by the third quarter of 2015,” the statement said.

Well, at least they didn’t say “next year we promise!” lol

It’s going to be hard to spend money expanding a road that will only get traffic during a event.
Especially when fonthill just spent 2.3 million fixing Pelham rd.

There is alot of tax payers money being spent on areas with less then 50,000 ppl

I was hoping for this when is was taking a class at niagara college welland campus.
As jobs are needed badly in the peninsula, but nothing on the south side of Lake Ontario
Is ever on-time or budget. with only seasonal tourism it could be hard to get the money.

I mean didn’t rudan even close down pure platinum? Fort Erie is a dying city. It needs help.

This is great news. Should be a great addition. Too bad its not in the US.

BIG UPDATE: Construction has begun.

Video:
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/230375/37/Canadian-Motor-Speedway-Construction-Now-Underway-In-Fort-Erie

FORT ERIE, Ont. – Construction has now started at the site of the Canadian Motor Speedway, a $400 million project just across the border in Fort Erie.

Officials held a small, unofficial groundbreaking event earlier this month, as construction crews started preliminary site work on the speedway property just off the QEW.

The 820-acre project will have a larger groundbreaking that will include a community celebration this spring, when construction of the actual oval racetrack will begin.

Erik Tomas, a media consultant with the speedway, said the developers have already spent $17 million and waited 7 years to get to where we are today. Government approvals and regulatory hurdles led to the many delays.

However, Tomas said there’s nothing to now stand in the way of the project, which local leaders said, once operational, will contribute up to $1 billion to the regional economy each year.

The project was designed by 4-time Sprint Cup NASCAR Champion Jeff Gordon. The large complex calls for a 3/4 mile oval track, a road course, hotel, restaurants, retail, lots of parking, and even a motor sport research and development center.

The developers say they will work to attract a variety of high-quality types of racing. They cannot comment on the most common question, which is whether or not the track will attract Sprint Cup NASCAR races.

2 On Your Side spoke with a racing analyst, who pointed out NASCAR has expressed interest in further expanding in Canada. Also, those behind this project wouldn’t spend $400 million without at least trying to attract the biggest races available.

Right now, the Canadian Motor Speedway is on track for a 2016 opening date, so racing is still a little more than a couple years away.

Wow thats great to see this actually come to fruition, now I can be excited about this!

Great time of year to start a project. :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad to see it’s happening though.

I’m trying not to get too excited just because with the cost and intended market of this project I have my doubts any of us are going to be able to afford to rent track time on the road course.

Without digging through this whole thread again, was the idea of motorcycle racing ever brought up? Is the the track designed with enough runoff for bikes?

“Nothing can stop this project now” says the guy… well, all we can do it wait. It won’t be ready for years yet anyway.

If you trust Wiki, yes: Canadian Motor Speedway - Wikipedia

When the time comes we’ll work on that :tup:

• Updated - - -

I found this:

LOL @ that layout.

I’ve seen plans with one tunnel to the oval, some with 2 tunnels. At this point who knows, lol. It’s all speculation and I’m sure the road course isn’t their primary concern anyway. I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished the oval first and delayed the completion of the road course.

Agreed, drawn by a 9 year old who spent too much time on Forza. A layout that goes over a bridge and corkscrews back on itself through a tunnel into an oval SO FUCKING SWEET OBVIOUSLY!

Edit:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24833[/ATTACH]
There’s the actual layout, from the worst fucking pdf I’ve ever had to deal with, Canada is apparently still living in the land of hand drawn layouts that are traced, scanned, faxed, retraced, re-scanned, government redrafted, faxed again, and then lawyer approved, before being put into a PDF. Fucking terrible.

Also, no stupid fucking bridge in the road course. Note that the tunnel furthest to the left is an ACCESS tunnel only, it’s not part of the road course. (of the three right in a row).

Agree that the purple track is a little juvenile.

I do think a bridge an tunnel track is good if done correctly and could result in better tire wear. For example the oval portion would be right turn biased and have heavy left tire wear, the outside road course would be left turn biased and have heavy right tire wear.

Obviously this “yellow” track example would not work with the existing physical barriers.

^ Did Apple Maps make that yellow one? “At the top of the bridge, turn right into thin air”. :slight_smile:

Why are you bothering to use what we know is not the layout? derp. What I posted is from the actual planning documents from the OMB.

^^Sorry, I should explain that the red “x” is there to indicate a draw bridge (think F&F2).

Hypothetical situation where a bridge and tunnel could be implemented, and justification for it’s use other than “it’s sweet”.

Article in Section G of the Sunday paper. Pretty interesting.

Aren’t they also updating Mosport track? Sorry for threadjack. :expressionless:

Current sticking point is whether or not a 2 way interchange needs to be updated to a 4 way. Some say yes, some say no.

Latest completion guess:

They hope to have the project completed in 2017