Found this while researching bikes

http://www.umamerica.com/site/assets/pictures/V2S%20250R/VS250R08-SIDE-SILVER-large.jpg

Interestingly enough, this is a UM (United Motors) V2S-250R. It is actually a re-badged Hyosung GT250R.

Korean made garbage or something more? The bikes feature V-twin engines and the latest sportbike styling.

Most of the research I have done has UM and Hyosung as upstart companies that have had some reliability and warranty issues, that are trying to establish a customer base here in the US.

The 250s run just under $4,000 and the 650 models just under $6,000.

There is a dealer on 88 near 51. I might stop by just to see one of these.

i’d be alittle hesitant to buy that. but thats just me. just from my experience with off-brand pitbike stuff. when you break something, its a bitch to get fixed. and there is a good chance something will break

I’ve been throwing around the idea of getting one of those cheap $1000 “sport bike” looking turds that go 70mph top speed and get 90mpg just to dick around with when the weather gets nice and save a few bucks on fuel for stupid errands around town.

The bikes certainly look good enough, but I guess that doesn’t help much if you are constantly broken down.

From what I’ve read on the net, if you get a bike that was assembled properly and made from good parts, you won’t have any or little trouble. If you get the other 50% made from shitty parts by a shitty assembler then you have trouble.

Supposedly this company Hyosung is considered a sister company of Suzuki and either built the engine that they put in the Suzuki SV650 or they built a clone of their engine.

I need a commuter bike for 20 miles round trip so a cheaper, but good looking 250 would be fine for me.

this is correct. I believe they built the engines and possibly frame for the 1st gen sv’s or at least the 650. Hyosong’s first bike here that I saw was in 2004 I think and it was an exact copy of a standard SV.

That said, I have no idea what it’s like to try to get parts for one. Something as simple as fork seals may cause a major headache, or it may literally be the exact part suzuki uses. General consensus is that while they may be cheap and new, you are probably better served buying a 2 or 4 year old ninja 250, or a 5 year old SV as it will be more reliable. Both of those bikes, the ninja and sv, have great aftermarket support, parts are plentiful, and especially in the ninja’s case, super cheap since you can go back to 1988 and find the same stuff. Present model year excluded (and that may just be plastics that changed)

You can buy a brand new 2008 Kawa 250 Ninja for about $3500 out the door and now they have the fairing styling like the regular sport bikes.

08 ninja 250> that thing

quote for truth.