another what starter bike thread. EDIT: stickers removed

so i just took the ride with pride class and passed :). i thought might as well take the class to see if i like riding motorcycles, and it turns out its addicting… so now i have to get a bike. lol, i dont really want to spend more than 4-5k on a bike, and i want a bit more than a 250, and i want a sports bike. however i dont need somthing fast, just want a stylish bike to have some fun on. that being said i know nothing about motorcycles, i was looking at an R6 on here and thought it was damn sexy, but then i did a bit of research and found it will probably be way too much bike for me as a beginner, so what do you guys think i should look into? i was searching on craigs list and found some pretty nice bikes, what do we think of ninjas? i heard from someone that they are crap… but thats probably just an opinion.
bikes i saw and am interested in.

07 Suzuki GS500
02 Kawasaki Ninja 600zx
05 kawasaki Ninja 500r
06 Kawasaki ZZR600
02 Yamaha YZF R6 <== probably too much bike for me.

which of these do you think would be good for a starter bike? or do you have other suggestions?
thanks in advance for any input

also where do you guys go to get your gear?
i need pretty much everything aside from helmet and boots. Thanks!

The new Kawi 650r is a decent looking bike and pretty forgiving, GS500 is good.

Look in stores for fitment of gear, and buy online, much cheaper and shipping is generally free.

newenough.com
sportbiketrackgear.com
compacc.com

Some good sites for gear.

^^ thanks very Helpful!

I have a bike for sale, would be a pretty good starter bike. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/1206477703.html

The r6 isnt too much bike. It’s really comfortable and is easssssy to control.

Dex rode mine…and he’s mostly retarded.

Ok of those bikes… the r6 will have the most power… and be the twitchiest… however… the 02 zx-6r and the 06 zzr600 (which btw, are the same bike) are going to be right up there with it…

Those 3 bikes are VERYYYY capable bikes and although dated to todays standard, will provide years of riding enjoyment.

Any of those bikes should be adequate… just dont be an idiot…

what prices are you looking at? mileage? mods? etc etc…

PS my first “street” legal bike was a 00 zx-6r… and i loved that bike, it had 30k miles on it when i got rid of it and only thing it ever needed was oil, gas, chain/sprocket, and clutch… PS it had 4 owners and all of which was their first bike… and all of us took it to the drag strip and put 100 passes on it…

It was a tank, it ran 11.3, and it was comfy as one could hope an SS bike could be…

How tall are you? weight? whats your motorcycle experience like…?

Btw, i didnt read your thread, so just answer my questions again :-p

lol @ jay.

<3 @ will

Ib4 Willybeen <3’s 636s lol

Yeah we had the 636 posts a few weeks back didnt we. They are nice bikes. I prefer Fzr’s ftw though. Powerfull little corner monsters.

Dont be a pussy.

The GSXR 1000 seems to have replaced the R1 as the squid bike of choice.

this will be my first bike im about 6ft and i weigh about 180, i only took the ride with pride never rode before except my schwin. im leaning towards the r6 now because its the best bang for the buck. my wallet is about 5k would like to stay closer to 4k if possible. im acquiring gear while i wait for the “right” bike

edit: dont need to go fast just need to look good lol

editx2: http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71172&highlight=yamaha hasnt pmed me back =(

Buy mine, helmet and jacket included. Looks alright and runs perfect, perfect starter bike. Can you tell Im broke lol.

^^ eh a bit too old for me… sorry

as far as mods go, im not too familiar with bike mods, but i would like an exhaust probably at some point and a turbo. lol jk

Just to give you an idea on where prices for those should be…

I paid 4k in 5 years ago for my 2000 Ninja zx-6r… i wouldnt pay much more than 3000 for a 2002 these days… even if it was immaculate

As for an r6… Ieatpaint paid 3300 for his 2000 r6… which was also mint… that was 3 years ago, btw…

thank you for information!

first only bike I have been on is a 05 raven r6. Hopped on my boys one day, rode it down the sidewalk and figured screw it, lets take it down the street. i was hooked. Too bad I still dont own a bike. its all about control man. IMO i dont see the point in buying a 250 or 500 or something I really dont want as a starter bike. Buy something that you will have for a while and that you really like and respect. Again, this is all IMO. the 05 R6 my boy bought was his first bike, bought brand new and trailered home.

for a starter bike its all about control… respect what you put between your legs and you control your wrist… if its all about looks then… any bike will do… just be safe…

Everything Will said.