Friday Night Car Issues

I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend tonight and all of a sudden on the 178th street exit my deck starts to cut in and out (power) and then shuts off alltogther. The car stalled out and so I called my dad to come and give me a boost. We boosted the car, and let it idle for a bit, i hop in it to leave on home and the damn thing wouldn’t rev higher then 2000 rpm, even in full throttle it would just hit 2000 and go no further (it sounded terrible too); It then idled at 500 rpm and died. Finally we boosted it once more and let the truck get some juice into the battery before driving it home. The bat. is charging in the garage right now. Whats goin on with this thing? It drove fine all day and hen poof i’ve got issues.

Alternator problems? Loose connection somewhere, possibly on the battery terminals?

If its got the “shits” man you can’t fix that!! lol

I had this same problem on my last vehicle, it was a domestic but I’m sure its the same problem. Its the alternator. Cause your car probably has an electric fuel pump. When your car doesn’t have enough power running thru it, the pump isn’t functioning properly, probably only pumping at like 25%. Your car was probably running right off the battery and not charging.

To test the alternator, I do believe you have the car running and remove the positve battery cable from the battery. (Correct me if I’m wrong anyone) If the car stalls, its your alternator. If not, then it could be just a weak battery.

Hope that helps!!

awwww you fixed your typo!! :shock: :?

Hey Ty I believe it to be more then likely your alternator. When Aaron and I were coming back from the first Calgary V8less car show my car did the EXACT SAME THING! Take it off bring it some where to get it checked out. Best of luck!

Happened in my truck too because one of the adjusting bolts on the alternator snapped and released all the tension off the belt.

its sounds like your alternator. be prepard to shell out big money for a new one ( close to 350-400)

Im going to chimm in and say it’s your alternator too, and that it happened to me one fall morning last year…Driving and then rmps went down so every light i reved the shit our of it just so i could get savely off the road. I thought it I was low on gas, but then when I filled up, it wouldn’t start. So the to truck came and my belt had fell off.
Get a referbished alternator, they are cheaper and come with a warranty

if u want a new alternator from canadian tire i could probably get u a decent deal plus u get money back if u give them ur old one… i had to do that with my old car

Hey Tyler, I think I’ve got an alternator at the shop for you.

What year is your car again? If its an 89-90 I have a few laying around, but if its a 91+ I’ll have to check for you on Monday (Or call Sumaru’s to see if Neil is at Al’s today)

Laters!
Cory.

Sumaru’s - 438-2638
Al’s - 447-3282/Speedworks - 488-2544

Thanks guys, but I needed it fixed today (have lots of running around to do). It was the alternator but shes all nice and fixed again. Older cars… :roll:

Tyler, my brother phoned me as soon as he drove past you. He said there was a truck boosting, so I didn’t call.

I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend tonight and all of a sudden on the 178th street exit my deck starts to cut in and out (power) and then shuts off alltogther. The car stalled out and so I called my dad to come and give me a boost. We boosted the car, and let it idle for a bit, i hop in it to leave on home and the damn thing wouldn’t rev higher then 2000 rpm, even in full throttle it would just hit 2000 and go no further (it sounded terrible too); It then idled at 500 rpm and died. Finally we boosted it once more and let the truck get some juice into the battery before driving it home. The bat. is charging in the garage right now. Whats goin on with this thing? It drove fine all day and hen poof i’ve got issues.

Alternator problems? Loose connection somewhere, possibly on the battery terminals?

If its got the “shits” man you can’t fix that!! lol

I had this same problem on my last vehicle, it was a domestic but I’m sure its the same problem. Its the alternator. Cause your car probably has an electric fuel pump. When your car doesn’t have enough power running thru it, the pump isn’t functioning properly, probably only pumping at like 25%. Your car was probably running right off the battery and not charging.

To test the alternator, I do believe you have the car running and remove the positve battery cable from the battery. (Correct me if I’m wrong anyone) If the car stalls, its your alternator. If not, then it could be just a weak battery.

Hope that helps!!

awwww you fixed your typo!! :shock: :?

Hey Ty I believe it to be more then likely your alternator. When Aaron and I were coming back from the first Calgary V8less car show my car did the EXACT SAME THING! Take it off bring it some where to get it checked out. Best of luck!

Happened in my truck too because one of the adjusting bolts on the alternator snapped and released all the tension off the belt.

its sounds like your alternator. be prepard to shell out big money for a new one ( close to 350-400)

Im going to chimm in and say it’s your alternator too, and that it happened to me one fall morning last year…Driving and then rmps went down so every light i reved the shit our of it just so i could get savely off the road. I thought it I was low on gas, but then when I filled up, it wouldn’t start. So the to truck came and my belt had fell off.
Get a referbished alternator, they are cheaper and come with a warranty