Power issues

POST #1

So yea, I have AWSOME luck with servicing my car! First it was my tires that just absolutly DID not want to fit on my rims, even though I know other people who have the exact same size on theirs… go figure.

Now it’s fun stuff. I did an oil change yesterday (first since getting my car), and whoever had the filter on before really fucking reefed’er, so whatever, happens all the time, break out the channel locks, put em on, start turning, and SNAP!, something spark on my channel locks… nce white spark. So i’m like fuck Rolling Eyes So whatever, i take the filter off, finish my oil change, get back into the car, start it up, everythings hunky dorry, and I leave. So I’m heading home to get my buddy so we can go see the premiere of Jarhead (which by the way, rocks) and I notice that every now and then, my deck is getting it’s power cut for like 1/4 of a second, just enought o restart the deck, but not enough to loose it’s memory. So iI figure the spark did that to it somehow, and I’ll just rewire it later or figure it out or w/e. Anyhoo, go to movie, everythings fine but the deck. As soon as we get out of the movie, I go to start my car, and EVERYTHING but my headlights doesn’t work. Absolutly nothing electrical works (except headlights). Cluster, Windows, Sunroof, Heater, tail lights, nothing.

So that’s my problem. I figure I just blew some sort of main fuse, and really hope I havn’t fucked up anything else. I’m just wondering if you guys might know exactly what I blew, or where I should start. I have a 1992 Coupe, 5 speed, with a 96 KA24DE bottom end and a 92 KA24DE head. Any help or tips would be appreciated. I’m going to check all my fuses tonight at work.

POST #2

Well, I left my house shortly after posting to go back to work, and it seemed as if my battery was dead, but I had left my lights on all over lunch, so I figured wahetver. I bump started it outta my driveway and drove to work, and HAHA! everything worked!

But, my luck isn’t that good! As I was leaving work, my car was hesitant to start but finally shot up, but yet again, nothing was working, so whatever, I drove it home, except this time, just as I was goign aroudn a corner, car got EXTREMELY sluggish, to the point were it felt like it was gonna die. So I pulled over, and sta to figure out what to do. I noticed that my clock light (which worked for some reason, but not the clock, just little light behind it) would dim when I had my headlights on, but brighten when i turned them off. Anyway, after deliberating what to do, i opened my door, got out and started to push, deciding I was like a minute from home, and would just tyr and bump start it home and deal with it there. So I bump start, and yet again everythigsn sluggish, but as soon as I turned off my headlights, SHABOOM, car was back to normal, and again everythign inside worked. So, to sum up, as it stands last time I drove the car, the headlights work, but seem dim, but if i turn them off, everything works and car runs great…

What. The. Hell.

Could my alternator be fried??

I’d say alternator…

Get a good new battery in the car and test your charging system.

Alternators dying while driving is not fun… :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck.

All fixed, it seems so far it was the alternator fuse. So far so good.