Friends civic getting bag MPG...why

Friend from work owns a 99 civic 4dr ex. He asked what I was getting and i said mid 30s. He said last year he was getting about that and recently he checked his MPG and he is about low 20’s.

I asked if he did anything to the car and he didnt. He just replaced the spark plugs (about 4yrs old) and his MPG is the same. I told him to check tire pressure and his tires are fine.

Im stumped, you guys have any ideas.
I know it could be MANY things but what may be some quick little things to check before he takes it in.

2 things I can think of is a leak in the gas tank or he needs a new O2 sensor

bad MAF?

why dont you drive it and see if you notice anything odd

Not that this is the main factor, but I always see lower MPG’s when driving in the winter. It could be a small contributor. Normally I see mid 30’s in my DX sedan. But lately it’s been closer to 30 due to underinflated tires and just going up and down some hills in snowy weather.

Seriously though…it’s totally possible that he simply ran the numbers wrong or doesn’t know how to calculate MPG.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=7&ved=0CC0QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fanswers.yahoo.com%2Fquestion%2Findex%3Fqid%3D20100116052727AA6ykvN&rct=j&q=winter+blend+fuel+gas+mileage&ei=66RxS6iOJIiXtgeU0_X4CQ&usg=AFQjCNFuzebgquTFmPnEmy6qN_81_K-IiA&sig2=5Xffxlf2F7rUSZjM1QLSdw

^this and if he is letting his car warm up for long periods of time.

yea never thought to ask if he lets it warm up…i would hope he thought of that.

i could see some of these things playing a part in dropping the MPG a little but to drop it around 10MPG is alot.

How would he know if his MAF sensor is messed?

He also said his car has been taking longer to shift when cold. I guess when he is on the highway at 65mph the car will stay in its 2nd last gear for a few mintues then suddenly go into its last dropping the RPM’s

I asked if he calculated wrong and he said no. Its been like this a little while and a few tanks of gas

It’s been cold out, steadily, cold air demands more fuel.

These do not have MAF sensors. Tell him to check his air filter to make sure it isn’t clogged.

Went out for a bag of MPG and came home with poor fuel mileage.

I see it’s a auto too. Don’t they get bad mpg over the 5speed.

I had a bad wheel bearing that sounded like a loud tire for about six months, that cost me about 4-5mpg…

The bearing was seizing up…

It has a map not maf sensor. Maybe it is just his driving/slipping snow.

couple things

it has a map, the CEL would def be on, its a code FO SHO
its cold out, like carnut said
letting the car warm up??
its an auto

idk about you guys but my neon gets 21mpg on a good day, and that thing hasnt been over 3500rpm since ive owned it

i went for a ride and it seemed to drive fine, but it did take a while to shift into its last gear.

but i cant see that taking him down 10mpg…or the cold weather.

if you look the 99 5speed only gets around 22/29… so mid 20’s is prob right in the summer and lower in the winter. hes prob right on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/14872.shtml… so you looking at less for the AUTO

thanks llink78, thats a cool site. there right about the s2k. I get about 27mpg in it.
For the my 94 civic ex auto coupe they say about 30 but i remember getting 37 at one point, now mid 30s

I wonder if they are watering down the gas now a days :snky:hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
tighten the belt

I have been getting poor gas mileage with my Accord. maybe 24mpg on the highway. Should be getting closer to 30mpg. It has a 2.4L and has 134k on it. Doesn’t burn a drop of oil, runs great and shifts fine. I don’t know why it sucks gas.

i didnt spell Math wrong… i meant Mass airflow Sensor…

when they are dirty, they can make your car eat fuel… same with a bad o2 sensor

Dumbass. He was saying maybe hes calculating the mpg wrong.
Hondas dont have MAFs anyways