Fuel from sunlight and CO2 at ~ $30/barrel???

Joule Unlimited secured a patent for a single step process to create biofuels compatible with our current diesel and ethanol infrastructures using CO2 and sunlight in a single step process facilitated by organisms they’ve engineered specifically for this purpose. Essentially they’re going to make fuel out of the greenhouse gas that vehicles usually emit plus sunlight, at around $30 a BARREL. They already have proof of concept and it seems very scalable, plus they’ll probably secure cheap land in the desert with ample sunlight.

http://www.jouleunlimited.com/

innnnteresting…

wow, that’s really cool

A little more reading there.

great scott.

Hmm…looks like their stock ownership is all private placement. I will have to keep an eye out should they decide to go IPO.

They will be dead or missing soon. :snky: lol

If it sounds to good to be true… (let’s hope that does not apply here):tup:

Just like the guy that made the water car lol

It’s saying AS LOW AS. I wonder what the real world prices would be if this went through.

Or Diesel or Larsen or etc.

So they invented the tree? lol

[sarcasm]Once it works in a lab and at demonstration scale, there are usually no unknown challenges to be faced[/sarcasm]

I hope it does work, but I wonder where they get their feed chemicals and CO2 from.

Using waste CO2 is not an easy feat. It will have to be captured and stored/transported/used in some useful form. It is full of things that need to be removed.

I know Hydrogen production from Natrual Gas makes a ton of CO2.
Not sure if it’s cost effective to capture it yet.

One big thing I saw was that it can use any water, salty or shitty or what have you. If it required fresh water they’d just be replacing one problem with another. Wonder if the CO2 is the same way where it could be run through with imperfections.

Maybe they could do something like the pop bottle system since car engines still emit CO2…have a canister on your exhaust to collect the CO2 emitted and then when you go to the gas station to fill up you have them collect it for a few cents off your purchase.

^ This guy gets it. It sounds promising, but I’ll hold back my applause until they release more details and actually produce some real quantities.

Fixed :slight_smile:

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/make-stalker-uniform-stalker-kit-gsc-the-zone-radiation-equipment-weapons-gas-mask.jpg

Didn’t SAAB do this about 20 years ago? They collected exhaust until the cat heated up and then put the exhaust through. Am I dreaming this up or did this happen? lol I swear I read it in Road and Track(or whatever) way back when. It was before Al Gore invented the internet.