Fun Poll: VLSD vs. Open Diff

Just wondering if you guys would prefer a VLSD or open diff with semi grippy tires (any over factory all seasons), esspecially with heavier wheels like 17s. Id personally perfer open because then at least it is predictable, vlsd dies at any point fucking you.

Dont say any stupid shit like “weld it” or “get a real diff” because I can say obvious things too, hey look the sky is blue!

both are junk, i vote open diff.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

from exp, vlsd… atleast it works until it dies… then u have open diff.

vlsd

Are you talkin strictly related to drifting? The vlsd IS unpredictable but, say, on the street in snow it beats the shit outta an open dif any day.

Where is the neither option? Both are complete pieces of garbage.

Of the two VLSD is better. You probally wont overheat it driving grip.

nope grip wont over heat it

GT

I had terrible inside tire spin at shannonville gripping

should i keep my open diff for now or pick up a VLSD till i can get a nice kaaz or something. just for street and grip, whats better? im hearing mixed opinions.

VLSD without a doubt IS better.

Remember Marco at DX1? VLSD.

Yes, it will overheat if you beat the living piss out of it, but for the price
its much better than a VLSD. If you want better performance without
spending over $1000 then go for VLSD. If you want to be competitive
you’re gonna have to shell out for a real LSD.

My vote is VLSD.

iquabob is right, you will also get way better traction on launches on the street with a vlsd

thanks guys, i respect your opinions.

im going to shell out for a viscous for the time being. im more into grip anyway.

Nissan VLSDs don’t take special fluid, so using a really good oil in it will make it live longer.

Just change the fluid often (after every event) and you should be able to keep it alive and under a ton of abuse.

We’ve got a few members running VLSDs behind VGs in autocross and drifting, neither have died.

I guess it all depends on what you need it for. If you are going to apply this toward drifting then I woud have to say VLSD. Some people will even argu the point that you can not properly drift with an open differential. Personally I think you could still drift with an open dif but VLSD is better. Or even straight racing VLSD gives you a beeter launch of the line… My vote is on VLSD :smiley: !

ive always liked this post:
http://www.ziptied.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1842

I hear yah on the VLSD being unpredictable at times but just treat it as an open.

I find open dif to be more so unpredictable then VLSD when drifting. As you are exiting the corner the open sometimes just decides to switch power to the oposit wheel and causes some serious kick back. Sometimes causeing you to loose control even for just a moment. That is what i found with my open. It was also almost inposable to do a donut with my open diff aswell. My vote is for VLSD or LSD or welded (just for drifting on the track though).

Oh ya my open had around 300,000k on it though it might of had issues.

I will vote vlsd . I have a open diff and got ice tire on my car and still got stuck in the snow . Had to fill up my tank at 82 cents /liter just to get enough traction to get home . I pretty sure the car would never had gotten stuck if I had the vlsd .
I am not a drifter nor I am a 1/4 miler . but having both tire spining at one sure beats an open diff .

VLSD…

only drove the 240 for 2 weeks and it was during the rough time of all the snow fall and as long as both wheels were going I didnt come close to getting stuck…

I’ve got stuck twice since changing back to driving my Integra