VLSD, HLSD?

hey guys just wondering is it worth buying a used vlsd for my car. Im sure most of u know what im running if not i can repost it but i was going to go for something much more better but i’ve decided to cut funds for the 240 project.

From what i know vlsd r pretty much the worst or least effective lsd. Also that after 60k they are pretty much similar to an open diff.

Currently running open diff.

What do i look for when buying one as well?

Also from what i see s15 hlsd swap right in the s13 diff housing, correct? What price do these normally go for? (not buying one now just gathering info)
are they worth it. I’ve read up on them and they also have their fair share of disadvantages.

am i better off getting a vlsd and putting the money saved else where in my car?

I need something for the track cause i figure improving on my open diff right now will probably net me the biggest difference.

just weld up ur open diff

theres also a few people on here with skyline clutch types which you could easily fit to your car check it out.

yea. If your on the cheap. go weld it solid. Works good. definitly no slipping.

The S15 helical LSD is definitly awesome. If you have money go for one of those. There not to bad if you can find one for sale.

Don’t weld it.

Get a VLSD, there are lots of them for sale… Avery has 3 or 4 of them. They are notthing like an open diff after 60k, even after 150k. VLSD is waaay better than open, even if it’s half blown. If you are going to do anything, I’d say just get a VLSD, and save up or wait for something else to become available. If you can, find one from an auto.

Don’t weld your diff. it could lock up on you while your driving, I have seen this happen before… The guy had to remove both of the rear axles and trailer it home.
Not to mention the scariness of hwy bends in the rain.

if you are only tracking the car, welded diff all the way. if you want to drive it on the street at all then just get a VLSD, one can be had for $150 no problem, i have one for sale and i’ve seen a couple on here for the same price recently.

not sure where you heard that they’re garbage after 60k, but they’re insane. all the cars i’ve owned, worked on or friends have owned all had working VLSDs and they were anywhere from 100k-300k.

voted

wtf? lol

well i herd from a lot of tech articles that the fluid loses its effectiveness after 60k (may be exaggerated), or that if its been significantly overheated as well can ruin it.

thanks a lot guys, im going to probably look for a vlsd from an automatic come spring

and for the record a welded diff is only alright on a track if you want to have a drift only car. if you want to every grip drive that it will for sure be a pain in your ass.

VLSD with 350K. still lays 2 tracks.

you know diff fluid can be (and should be) changed… right?

You know VLSDs work with their own liquid, hence the Viscious part of the VLSD… right?

um yeah, how exactly does this relate to what i said? do you not believe in changing your differential fluid or something?

Nope, don’t believe in it one bit.

What you said implied that by changing the fluid in your diff you magically restore the VLSD component. The fluid inside the diff itself breaks down, and causes it to lose its functionality, changing the fluid in the housing doesn’t affect it in that manner.

So it relates to what you said 100%

maybe that’s what you gathered from it, that’s not what i was meaning from what i said. i know damn well that if a diff is done, changing the fluid won’t fix it.

he was saying that as if no one has ever changed their diff fluid, reasonable people change their diff fluid to prevent such damage to the diff. i’m not saying every 240 has had the fluid changed regularly, but i’m positive that a lot of them have, a lot of people loved these cars when they bought them from new.

the viscous fluid inside the diff is in a sealed chambe that cannot be accessed without being cut and welded back up

thats why they dont last forever

diff fluid can be changed yes, but the viscous shit cannot be

So If I change the fluid in my VLSD, it will be like mint? Brand new in the box?

hm, learn something new every day. a VLSD is one thing that i haven’t torn apart yet. thanks matty.

clearly. you should probably give up on talking for a while.

So when I say it it’s a personal attack, but when he says it it’s gospel? Cool.

haha, it’s all in the way you say it. if you’re a dick about it then i will take offense to it.