VLSD Problem

I have a 91 fastback with 275km on it. As of late it has been making a whining noise from the back end even when in neutral and rolling. Noise is louder when decelerating.

I took it to Nissan and they said the diff is going so just wondering what my options are here? I was told a new diff from Nissan would be about $1700 plus labour so that is not an option.

Is there a bearing and seal kit for this from Nissan? I don’t have the time to rebuild this but would really like to keep the car going. Can anybody recommend a good shop which has experience with 240sx VLSD repairs in West Toronto or Mississauga area.

Thanks in advance for you help.

ur best bet is to purchase a used vlsd off of someone here on son. Or im sure theres some people basically giving away their open diffs that u could throw on just to keep it going

other than that if ur going to spend 1700 at nissan(which u wouldnt)…put in a tomei or something

i got one with 165,000km’s on it

$250

416 890 0934

I see there are several versions of VLSDs mentioned on the board. S13 vs S14, ABS vs. non, etc.

I have Hicas so I assume reading through some threads mine is a S13b non-ABS for the needed LSD?

mine came from a car with hicas and no abs

S13 VLSD isnt affected by hicas, only by ABS. So if your car is non ABS and you have an ABS diff you want to buy, than you need an ABS driveshaft. They are cheap usually 50 bucks ? on son. However, you can still use your driveshaft with whatever diff, it just wont line up as nicely and is harder to install, its 1/4 inch length difference, and it will wear you support bearing and output bearing faster.

BTW, I have an open diff for sale if you want. NON-Abs, you can take it to nissan and be like take the centre piece out of this and shove it in the other one and replace the bearings… or swap the whole thing

buy a used vlsd for $150 and swap it. if it still whines its your transmission or the center section of your driveshaft.

The last time I changed the diff oil which was about a month ago I noticed some fine metallic slivers about 0.5 cm long attached to the drain plug. I assume this is not normal and likely is some bearing starting to disintegrate.

What usually starts to go in these diffs the pinion gear, bearings, or both? The whine is most noticeable gearing down with power applied, but even if I put the MT in neutral the whine continues just not as loud.

Is it common for a VLSD to wear out like this? This car sees a lot of highway distance and has been driven hard, but respectfully. I don’t think I read on this forum of another LSD wearing out just lots of swapping the open for LSD going on.

it’s not the vlsd unit itself, that’s all fluid (kinda like a torque converter)

what you are hearing is either the side or front bearings… taking the cover off for a good look would be wise

Ive got just the VLSD for 125.00 no case, so you open yours pull it out and swap this one in.

Thanks all for you advice and help! I had Avery’s LSD installed and we are back in action. The whine is gone completely.

Next time I have a problem I will know where to come.

Im glad to hear it solved the problem :slight_smile: