Which way should i go? Welded diff or VLSD

I need some opinions on wheather or not i should weld my open diff. I heard of bad stories as well as good so i’m confuzed now. Should i just get a VLSD instead. If i were to weld my diff does anyone know where i can have it done. I asked around some shops and they have no idea what i’m taking about.

go vlsd before you weld.

you’ll learn a lot better and your skill will improve more than just skipping steps. it’s like most of the people who mod up their car all at once before actually learning their car at stock. will actually hinder your learning curve. good for the short run but bad in the long run imo.

don’t try to run before you can crawl is how i would put it.

ps: its vlsd Will :wink:

Willx, it never hurts to try. Go ahead and weld the diff, you’ll have a lot of fun. When that breaks (if it does) then get a VLSD.

Edit: Good post overb0ost, at least he has to make the decision on his own now.

depends on the size of rims your using, if they are small 16’s or 15’s vlsd is decent enough, 17’s + weld or 2 way

over boost makes a good point.

a good setup for learning would be welded diff or vlsd / coilovers / seat.

stock motor…

then go 200rwhp

then go 250rwhp

then go 300rwhp

then go 400+HP

That’s excactly why i’m drifting the hatch before the coupe hahaha… How much does it cost to weld the diff? and where can i get it done?

it costs nothing if you have a friend with a welder

well i’m not that lucky and i don’t know anyone with a welder

VLSD with stock motor

2way with power

fuck welded, its ghetto not because its home made but because of the load it will create on the inner tire which ever way your turning

lol out of all ppl i thought you’re the last one to care about tires. I mean you go though 5 pairs of tires on a track day haha… but other than the load on the tires, are there any other disavantages of having a welded diff?

lol out of all ppl i thought you’re the last one to care about tires. I mean you go though 5 pairs of tires on a track day haha… but other than the load on the tires, are there any other disavantages of having a welded diff?[/quote]

lol its not the tires, its the fact that the load will cause understeer in some corners… it just defies the sole purpose of proper vehicle propulsion, without excess wear and tear. if you were to race on a mountain pass with a welded diff, you would be much slower due to understeer and excess oversteer…

its kind of like under steer or over steer only, a welded diff is just no good for proper traction

sure. your turning radius is shit. and your skipping one tire ANY time you turn small or large radius. sure weld it if its main purpose is to drift.

edited

msg length

welded diff is fun and alll but i enjoyed my kazz 2 way alot more

if the car is going to be driven any amount of time on the street i wouldnt weld the diff. if the car is going to be driven in the rain at all defenetly would not weld. if the car is going to be a strick race car why not giver a try. it is very cheap then if u decide to go with a locking of vlsd then make that choice then.

i have a welded diff

I still havent tried it in the rain, But it cant be beat for drifting.

the chatter in sharp turns isnt much of a problem when compared to the fun you will have sliding around corners.

I rather have a welded diff and deal with the chatter then be stuck in the winter with a open diff

wait til you have to daily drive your car in snow with a welded diff

watchout for those onramps heh heh

suprisingly its not undrivable with a welded diff on bald cheap tires in the rain

I’m puting some tires with some real tread on before the snow hits.
so it shouldnt be too bad…

And yea onramps become alot more “fun” with a welded diff in slipery conditions

shim the vlsd.

Hey Matt… Im going to order a few in January so if you want some @ the same time then let me know :wink:

So if a welded diff causes the wheels to spin at the same speed all the time, and a VLSD allows them to spin at their own individual speeds… What do the 1.5 way and 2 way LSD’s do exactly?