Welded Diff !!! How strong/How safe/How noisey

Ive often come across threads here on SON where some1 wanted to buy or sell a welded diff. can you guys give me some feedback on whether you`ve done it personally, driven or got a ride in a car with a welded diff, or just some advice on whether i should even consider doing it… i am currently running a low km infinity j30 VLSD with my 2Jswap but i find that my car still does not go perfectly straight under heavy throttle…

Im not the kind of guy to cheap out or cut corners but now that i am ready to put my s14 back on the road i am considering doing this just to start off my season til i can afford a GOOD 1.5way,how would it be on the street or on the circuit track? dragers and drifters feel free to chime in.

i dont know how it will handle a 2jz but it’s fairly reliable but also very annoying(ghetto) the tires rubbing every time, welded diffs are good for drift not drag

yea ive got a welded diff and it is very annoying when ever you go around corners the one tire skips. great for drifting though. i would say if it is done properly its safe and stong…

how is a welded diff bad for drag"?

^^^i don’t know(too much fishtailing?) but i don’t think that having zero wheel slip between the two wheels is good for ANY type of racing except drift when have some drag racers here, good ones too so let’s hear there opinions

what if its your winter beater and its got a welded diff??? any experience there? i would think that on a straight road it would be great but in a turn would it not make you spin out???

even with my old $1500 Nismo GT Pro 2way diff, you still get tire hop/screech when making tight turns.

That’s how it works.

I ran a welded diff in my s14 all last year on and off the track and drove through the winter as well.
Mine whines on decel. Parking is a little more tricky because of the skipping. The car doesn’t turn as well anymore because both wheels are rotating at the same rate when going around turns.

It won’t make you spin out in the snow, you control that part.

Of course i’d recommend going with a proper locking diff, but if you have a welded one, use it, you’ll enjoy it.

^^^for drag, you want both wheels to rotate evenly, so a welded or full lock diff is perfect.

Drive a SUV with 4 wheel drive lock on. Thats what a welded diff functions like.

lol common

most drag cars use a spool diff

wich in theory is a welded diff

Well there you go i learned something thanx peter

Not fun in the rain, especialy with shitty tires while going around a bumpy turn… Stick to a VLSD or dish out some money for a Kaaz.

honestly i winter and summer drove a welded with solid bushings. no problems at all. sure it makes noise. im here for fun…just turn the radio up.

the noise a 2 way will make will be around the same. if your worried about your driving ability then stay with the vlsd. i

as for what they are good for is drift and drag if it holds up to the grip. as for lapping…def the slowest way around the track is welded at least imo.

in parking lots tho and when you try to turn sharp it will push the front end a bit.

welded makes wheel hop, slight initial understeer wen turning but correcting with massive oversteer afterwards.

try it out… but i duno … 2jz at wat hp? prob may break the welds lol

thanks guys some people seem to love it and some dont! i guess i will have to try it for myself …

^^^ no you are not elon!!!

I dont think so man.

2J swap and vlsd don’t mix

i had a kaaz 2way on my old daily and it wasn’t that much more comfortable than welded, pretty much the same, both suck in terms of comfort but if you got power, definitely a good way to put it to the ground

this shouldn’t break, new welded for my daily

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3050/dsc06560s.th.jpg

^^^ lol

oh f word^^^