Welded diff for daily driver

Viscous lsd has 272,000 miles on it, so I’m not getting a lot of lsd out of it anymore. Toying around with ideas, open to getting a 2 way, but that won’t be soon. Also considering welding. Actually, I’m more likely to do a welded diff if I do anything at all.

I see lots of different opinons online, but the nay sayers are “don’t do it, you’ll die!!!”

So any local people have input for welded diff, especially in the winter? Car is a na z32, so we’re looking about 3200 lb vehicle and I use ice tires in the winter.

I’ll be doing it this summer on the spare diff for my e46. A few people on here have in the past.

I daily drove my 240 with a welded. Never in snow but heavy rain and such it’s not bad. The only down side is turning and it hops. I’ve never spun out turning unless someone smashes throttle lol

Mike at innovative has had one for a loooong time

I have a welded rear end in my z with 275 wide drag radials

It’s not that bad, It’ll hop a little on turns

I had a welded diff on my talon. I guess if you’re a pussy it sucks.

I would.

Summer I know how it will act.

I’m concerned more about the ice and snow with quality tires.

Why not opt for a mini spool/lunchbox locker? They’re easy, cheap and work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean phantom slip?

I doubt it will behave that much difference than a regular LSD in snow. It’s so easy to spin both tires in the snow the fact that the diff is locked isn’t going to make much difference.

Looked them up, haven’t found one for the r200vlsd. Only r200 open.

Eh I drove a car with a spool in the rain it pushes the back end out a lot on turns.

I don’t know how I would feel in the winter driving with that.

Since you’ve already driven a welded diff, it’s not different in the winter than the summer. As with any setup you just have less grip in the cold, on snow/ice.

I remember a while back there was discussion about shimming the Nissan VLSDs to get more life out of them. I haven’t look too deep into the subject.

This is just the first one that came up in a quick google search:

After testing the differential out, it felt just like my welded differential in my 240sx but better. It is worth the 17 bucks or so a piece it cost for the thrust washers.

Everyone I’ve personally talked to who has done shimming said not to bother and they wish they had just gotten the two way unit or welded to begin with