Funny article on 17yr Cicada's

YOU PEOPLE who haven’t seen these things, you have no idea what you’re in for.

You’re thinking: Cicadas, big deal.

You’re thinking: C’mon, a few bugs flying around the yard - how bad can it be?

You’re thinking: Worse comes to worst, I’ll spray some Raid and light a citronella candle and they’ll go away.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

I’m sorry. I don’t mean to laugh. It’s just that … well, you people are so naive.

First, let’s dispense with the fairy-tale scenarios, OK?

Here’s how it’s going to go down in about three weeks, when these 17-year cicadas start popping out of the ground:

You go to bed one night. But before you do, you steal a last glance out the window at your back yard. It’s bathed in moonlight. It’s quiet. It’s peaceful. Everything is fine.

Then you wake up the next day. You look out the window. And suddenly it’s like MTV’s Cicada Spring Break outside.

Your whole yard is swarming with cicadas, cicadas that are laughing, cracking beers, cranking the stereo, throwing each other in the pool, doing cannonballs off the high dive.

You’re like: “What the …?”

So you go outside to investigate.

You open the screen door and about 60 of 'em barge in, start rummaging through your fridge, fighting over the remote in the family room, asking to use your bathroom.

Pretty soon, the noise level outside is incredible.

Right now you’re thinking: Well, I’ve heard cicadas make noise. What is it, a little buzzing or something?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

A little buzzing?!

I’m sorry. I said I wouldn’t laugh. But let me ask you something. Where are you from, Lollipop Land?

When I say the noise level will be incredible, I mean it’ll sound like the Cicada Tabernacle Choir.

This will be because the thousands of male cicadas are calling to the thousands of female cicadas.

And the males are not calling the females just to say hello, if you catch my drift.

No, they’re looking for action.

Hey, it’s been 17 years! You try going 17 years without … well, let’s not get into that.

The point is, these cicadas will have a just-out-of-San Quentin urgency to their mating calls, which tends to pump up the volume.

OK, here are a few more things you should probably know about cicadas, Mr. or Ms. Clueless.

No. 1, cicadas are ugly as sin.

They’re about two inches long and they look like flying lobsters, at least to me.

Plus they have these beady red eyes that can really creep you out.

(Imagine Ted Kennedy after happy hour - that’s the kind of red we’re talking about.)

And they can’t fly very well, cicadas. They’re like Mr. Magoo at the controls of a Cessna.

When they’re flying, they tend to smash into people, houses, car windshields, dogs, you name it.

And when they smash into you, it startles the hell out of you. You’ll jump three feet in the air.

Luckily, they don’t bite or sting or anything. But, still, you get paranoid. Who knows what kind of evolutionary changes these cicadas have undergone in the past 17 years?

Look, with all the pesticides and chemicals we put in the ground these days, maybe they’ve developed little teeth and claws and they’ll be swarming around like pint-sized Rottweilers this time.

Anyway, the good news is that the cicadas are only with us for a little over a month.

Then they all die around the same time and the ground is littered with their little corpses like some kind of cicada graveyard.

And when you walk on their shells, it makes this crunching sound, which is kind of creepy, too.

Still, you kind of miss 'em when they’re gone.

But then your dog eats a bunch of shells and throws up on the patio, and suddenly you don’t miss them so much.

http://www.primatesofpanama.org/pictures/animals/cicada.JPG

Fuck, are those things due for this summer?

http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/hsdance.gif

ya them things are fucking crazy man:eek2:

Originally posted by 91GSteggy
ya them things are fucking crazy man:eek2:

do you remember them? i remember being four or five and scared shitless of those things.

i hope we get a shit load of em this year… i dont think weve really gotten a lot in the past couple years when they said they were supposed to be horrible

i vaguely remember being scared as fuck of them

Originally posted by HaNnIBaL64
i hope we get a shit load of em this year… i dont think weve really gotten a lot in the past couple years when they said they were supposed to be horrible
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
they come every 17 years

Originally posted by slowcamaro
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
they come every 17 years

i know but for teh past 3 years ive heard teh cicadas were coming and i never really seen anything big with em

ya ive heard they are coming also and they never really did

I can just see my dog now trying to eat them… he tries to eat giant bumble bees and wasps and house flys!

there were a ton of them around my place a couple of years ago. I hope they aren’t coming back. those things are terrible

yeah they already been here…bout 2 years ago i think, it was the year jackie got her car cuz we were autoxing up in indiana when one of them fockers smacked kent rafferty right in the forehead

Originally posted by BlueMeanieTSi
yeah they already been here…bout 2 years ago i think, it was the year jackie got her car cuz we were autoxing up in indiana when one of them fockers smacked kent rafferty right in the forehead
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: wish i woulda saw that

only time i ever heard him swear like that too…

im cracking up just thinking about that shit

yeah, theres two different kinds i think, one comes every 17 the other is like every 7, something like that, from what i heard

yea, i remember those creppy lil fuckers… and i agree small flying lobster is a pretty good description

i wasn’t that big of a fan of them when i was like 3-4 and now that i have a car and shit for them to get smashed into probably chipping paint i’m not gonna be to happy this time either

Originally posted by taco
there were a ton of them around my place a couple of years ago. I hope they aren’t coming back. those things are terrible

Yeah, they were out in force summer of 02… We were painting gas wells that summer, usually out in the middle of the forest. And they loved the bright yellow paint. Fuckers would dive bomg your face when your up on a 10 foot ladder… Or even worse, they would land on your shoulder without you noticing, and start doings that scream they do… I think each one of the 3 of us took a fall because of those little fuckers.

Originally posted by Darkstar
Yeah, they were out in force summer of 02… We were painting gas wells that summer, usually out in the middle of the forest. And they loved the bright yellow paint. Fuckers would dive bomg your face when your up on a 10 foot ladder… Or even worse, they would land on your shoulder without you noticing, and start doings that scream they do… I think each one of the 3 of us took a fall because of those little fuckers.

I would pay good money to see darkstar fall off a 10ft. ladder because of a bug. :smiley: