godspeed :frowning:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gevRq1Q5ccWq260Xzhxnu7cGVP-wD91EODUG1

video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU[/ame]

rip

wow
RIP

RIP

RIP thats very sad to see. And i find it very weird that there is not a longer/deeper sand pit at the end of that track there, but yet just a wall. remember last year when john force wrecked bad. there was a longer sand pit at the end of the track where he just sunk in it right away. not a wall.

R.I.P.

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30033.htm

damn R.I.P.

R.I.P that wall at the end is just crazy.

RIP :frowning:

Yes it is a sad day in the racing world. Anyone know how far from the braking zone that wall was? It seems rather close…especially from 200+ mph.

Wow. Rest in Peace.

R.I.P

although it is not as big of a sand trap as some traps, it’s not as small as you’d think. believe me, i was standing at the end of that track where it happened about 5 weeks ago. the sand trap needed to stop that car at the speed it was going would be insanely long. I’m sure the big question with the NHRA and with the Kalitta family will be why the chutes did not deploy as they are engineered to when the body blows off during a catastrophic engine failure such as this.

It’s a horrible shame, but at least he went out doing what he loved to do. I’m sure this will bring even more safety improvements to the cars just like when eric medlen passed away last year.

very upsetting.

I just watched the video and it gave me chills to see a car explode like that with a person inside.

R.I.P Scott.

R.I.P.

RIP

holy hell. That sucks. I cant even imagine having friends and family at the track to watch a race and something so tragic to happen. I know NHRA will do everything it can to find out why it went so wrong and will make to sport safer for everyone else in his memory. I cant believe I was there last weekend, and am going to the national event next weekend. There will be a somber erie feeling I’m sure.

RIP Scott.

Interesting developments regarding what safety changes should be made…since major safety revisions in any motorsports tend to occur only after a well recognized driver is lost.

Ah, racing in the Great State of Noo Joisey means that the state police are already involved and running an investigation. They expect to have results in the next two to four weeks.

From this morning’s Home News Tribune, a local rag:
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080622/SPORTS/806220380/1003/rss01

OLD BRIDGE —The New Jersey State Police are investigating the fiery crash that took the life of National Hot Rod Association drag racer Scott Kalitta on Saturday at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

“We’re in the process of investigating the accident,” said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a spokesman for the state police. “It could be anywhere between two to four weeks depending on where the investigation takes us. We’re not going to clarify any part of the accident at this time.”

The track owner probably should not have said this:

"Raceway Park President Michael Napp said the post serves as support for the safety net that’s designed to “catch a car” if it fails to brake before the end of the track.

Napp said the distance between the quarter-mile finish line and the sand trap is “probably a little less than a half-mile.”

“I don’t know the exact number but we have a quarter-mile track and probably a little less than a half-mile to stop,” Napp said. “It used to be longer but when they (the NHRA) took the track away to put in the gravel and safety net, which makes sense, you took some of the track away to put that there. Without that gravel there’s more (track) than that.”

Napp, whose family has owned Raceway Park since it opened in 1965, said track officials took further precautions to ensure the safety of the drivers by setting sand-filled pails in front of the curved concrete wall and post.

While Napp said he would welcome any other safety precautions the NHRA would suggest, he said repositioning the post wasn’t an option.

“There’s things that I think that I’ll keep to myself about moving the pole location,” Napp said. "Sure, moving it is a great thing. Let’s put it on the other side of the planet. But there’s balancing acts about that. But I’ll let them review the evidence that they have and come back with suggestions.

“Look, we have to leave the poles where they are. They have to stay there in order for the nets to work effectively. So now maybe what we do is protect the poles better. There were days when there wasn’t any nets or gravel back there. So they came to us and said we need to install that, we did, and that was installed in the early 90s.”

Napp said Raceway Park is “a very safe facility,” and pointed to the lack of a fatality in “25 years” as proof.

“Most of the facilities are similar in design,” Napp said. "I don’t believe the NHRA would run here if we weren’t up to snuff. Since we’re old we’ve been part of the involvement of safety in the sport. I’m always open to anything about safety.

“Certainly we’ve handled enough NHRA events to present a facility that they’re comfortable with. We are a very standard facility. We’re not the longest track, we’re not the shortest track; we’re right in the middle. I think the circumstances have very little to do with anything other than what was a very serious mishap.”

Napp said when “everything’s going well” with a race car, “there were guys that stopped without parachutes and came out fine” on Saturday.

“Who knows? The explosion, the shock, maybe not being awake, maybe he couldn’t see because of the fire,” Napp said, explaining possible reasons of the accident. “Who knows? But it’s obviously a terribly sad day for the Kalitta family and we at Raceway Park share in their condolences.”

can’t watch the video at work, but that sucks big time.