NHRA to race to 1000', not 1320'

The 1/4 is no longer a 1/4.

I don’t actively follow NHRA at all, but saw this on another forum. WTF.

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm

7/2/2008
As the investigation continues into the tragic accident that took the life of driver Scott Kalitta, NHRA has announced that beginning at the Mopar Mile High Nationals in Denver, Colo., both the Top Fuel and Funny Car classes will race to 1,000 feet instead of the traditional 1,320 feet or one-quarter mile. This is an interim step that is being taken while NHRA continues to analyze and determine whether changes should be made to build upon the sport’s long standing safety record, given the inherent risks and ever-present dangers associated with the sport.

I understand the need for safety, especially at 300+ mph in less then 4 seconds… but this is what the “sport” was BUILT on, literally.

Discuss.

Wow! That’s nuts. I see their point though. 300 mph + a driver unable to pull the chute = a hell of a lot of ground covered in 1 second and an almost certain fatality. I’d almost rather see them just run an 1/8th mile instead. FWIW the last time I remember seeing funny cars at Lancaster they went like 3.7x or something like that.

Its not all for safety, it should cut down on wear and tear ($$$) on the motors.

Limit the motors not the track length.

Yes funny cars and top fuel have gone way out of hand, pro stock should be the top division.
Where can you effectivly buy a car that resembles a funny car or a top fuel car and mod it to look like that.
Most forms of commercial motorsports have lost thier roots and thier fans because of it.

Just think of the gas savings! lol

1000 would suck. Everyone will just adjust and be back at 300 eventually but they would now have a longer shutdown area…

next they are gonna start roll racing to cut down on tire wear

lol jk

:bigclap:

It’s a great call. Jim Head’s interview @ Englistown after Scott Kalitta’s death nail’s it on all front’s. Most of track’s they run on we’re built in the 50’s when they we’re hittin 200 mph, not 330!! They’re hittin 280-290 in the 1/8th. The last or top half of the 1/4 is where u blow shit up, & it’s the scariest for the driver’s. They have been talkin for a while in all of the fastest class’es about goin 1/8th mi, so 1000’ is a great compromise. Much safer & you’ll still see good race’s. No sport is worth dying for. We’ve lost 3 driver’s in the last 14 mo!!!