fwd sucks

Tonight was my first time going to a drag strip since I did the motor swap, turbo and megasquirt. I’m pretty upset with my times since before I did all that work I was running consistant 10.0’s @ 71 on the 1/8 mark with 2.3 60’ at nyirp. This is at Mooresville down in NC. I spun all of 1st and most of 2nd gear. I blame the almost bald fusion zri tires, no lsd and the unpreped track. Plus I don’t know how to launch this yet. There was maybe 8 cars there so they weren’t chargeing.
Boost was around 9 or 10 psi. I’m running fuel only on megasquirt, stock spark is cutting out at 6k rpm for some reason so thats what I’m shifting at. I’m also still on the street tune I did myself. Vids will be up tomorrow.
r/t .524
I1 2.490
I2 6.811
et 10.202
mph 73.408

r/t .244
I1 2.415
I2 6.537
et 9.847
mph 74.594

r/t .505
I1 2.608
I2 6.838
et 10.154
mph 74.469

r/t .459
I1 2.564
I2 6.801
et 10.144
mph 74.311

r/t .599
I1 2.591
I2 6.717
et 10.016
mph 74.745

http://onyxz32.sagemind.com/frontdrivesucks.jpg

All that work to go 3mph faster…

It feels alot faster but apparently not. I’m not looking for a fast car, just something thats fun to drive. I’d be fine with getting high 13’s 1/4
I still need to get a clutch and lsd. Then up the boost. Hopefully that’ll help.

shit tires
peg leg
clutch
“basic” tune
2 gears of wheelspin
first runs on this combo

why are you so surprised that its running slower?

omni did 9.0? :whoknows: something def ain’t right there. you’ll get it there, as you stated there’s some hiccups to work out.

SRT-4’s are getting in the 12’s with traps around 110mph. So if I get a clutch, lsd and good tires I should be alright.

Sounds like winter plans in progress…

thanks for telling us the obvious.

My grandmother loves her FWD car.

Building power into a fwd car is like putting whipped cream on a shit pie.

Mark’s first run with his neon was something like 14.0 @ 99. By the end of the night, the trap was more like 110 or 112. Keep with it and learn to dance on the throttle. It’s tough to keep that torque hooked up.

Still though at 10psi on an srt-4 build you sould be around 220hp? Before you had what 150/160hp? And now you should have ALOT more tq. Times dont seem right. Also what was the temp there?

true, but alot more tq on bad tires / clutch, and never having had to deal with that tq (spinning 1-2) can equate to those times. trap should’ve def been up tho, but then again spark cut @ 6k.

Eh.

true, especially when the motor loves 7000-8000 band!

Yea I wasn’t sure how to go about that. Going about half throttle in 1st seemed the best. I’m going to swap to the 3.55 trans. I heard that helps a little. I was also surprised that in a couple of the runs I was getting wheel hop. I have mm inserts and a stiff suspension.
I’m sure my et/trap will get better.
I still want to keep the car good for autoX. Thats alot more fun.

You don’t need an LSD. My buddy is going 10.7 @ 132 on the stock 1st gen trans and axels. I went 12’s on stock trans, open diff.

If you’re only going 74 in the 1/8th, you need to turn up the boost, lol. I was going 93 in the 1/8th, on the big turbo, and like 88 - 89 (if my memory serves me correctly) with the SRT turbo.

I would find out why your spark is cutting out at 6k, and confirm that it is spark cutting out. What are your plugs gapped at, could they be blowing out? I’d troubleshoot, fix what you have, and then go from there.

And get those 2.5 60’s down!!!

–mark

Man, if you have a 3.94/.81 and have any intentions of doing higher-speed shit, you’ll wanna keep it. 5th is such a dog in the 3.55. If you go with tall tires and a high limiter (7200+), then you should be able to stay out of 5th though, and the 3.55 could be useful again.

You’ll definitely want to keep around half throttle or less in the first gears. When I first drove Marks car (probably on ~20ish psi, might have only been 14 though), I felt like I went to about 15-20% throttle in 1st and maybe 25-30% to keep it just barely hooking up on the street.

It pulled like a raped ape doing that. Going any further made it smokey and fun, but way slower. You start putting some of your power down and I guarantee that the times get way better. I mean, you only trapped 75 and spun all of 1st and 2nd? To me, that tells me you probably spun HARD down 3/4 of the track or more. That’s definitely going to hurt the times.

Did you take out any tire pressure?

Another example, when I had my big turbo on, my car was SIGNIFICANTLY faster at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear, then it was at WOT, because I would get traction. 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear was just… fucking awesome.

well maybe I will keep the 3.94 in, its in better shape anyways. Tire pressure in the first run was around 38, the rest was around 28. I’ll try lower tire pressure and part throttle next time. We only had maybe 20 minutes there.