Buddy of mine made 501whp in his '99 neon

Same setup I had in my car, but instead of the Garrett T3/T04E 60 trim that I ran, he runs a GT35R and a more aggressive set of cams. Other then that, its the same.

Stock SRT internals, in a stratus 2.4 block, dohc neon head, megasquirt standalone, SRT oil and water pump, stock neon transmission, custom clutchnet clutch.

:eekdance:

–mark

ballin. what’s traction?

I think that’s the stuff that comes in 5th gear around 150mph.

Traction and FWD just don’t go well together, lol. On BFG DR’s, he ran a 12.1 @ 127, and an 11.99 @ 124. This was when he was on 24 psi, and dyno’d 450 whp.

He just re-dyno’d at 501 last night. It won’t get ass for traction, no matter what though. Mine nuked 3rd gear to the rev limiter, every time, at WOT. He hooks up in 3rd, at part throttle, but anything more then that is just more tire nukage. Its a 90 - 150+ mph roll race monster.

sounds like this.
Vurrrmmump vurmp vup… VAAArrrrump vaump… Vurrrruuuuuump… Vurrrrump vurrmp… 5th tracion/

2.4 have good tq.

[quote=“neonglh,post:4,topic:34501"”]

Traction and FWD just don’t go well together, lol. On BFG DR’s, he ran a 12.1 @ 127, and an 11.99 @ 124. This was when he was on 24 psi, and dyno’d 450 whp.

He just re-dyno’d at 501 last night. It won’t get ass for traction, no matter what though. Mine nuked 3rd gear to the rev limiter, every time, at WOT. He hooks up in 3rd, at part throttle, but anything more then that is just more tire nukage. Its a 90 - 150+ mph roll race monster.

[/quote]

it is an impressive car yet only good for 3 things

1 people who don’t know how to drive/launch (roll racing)

2 cars that are obscenely set up with way too much power to wheels that will never grab (unless you are at 100+ mph)

3 getting insane speeding tickets

[quote=“L8APEX1,post:6,topic:34501"”]

it is an impressive car yet only good for 3 things

2 cars that are obscenely set up with way too much power to wheels that will never grab (unless you are at 100+ mph)

3 getting insane speeding tickets

[/quote]

While thats mostly true, he does have upgraded axels, and a set of 24.5 x 13 x 8 slicks is only 500 buck away :stuck_out_tongue: People do run very good times with these cars. 2400 lbs and 500 whp is a monster, its just you have to spend so much money to have it hook up. But, this is just his dyno queen and fun car, it serves his purpose. The most impressive thing I see is that it is done with stock SRT internals.

If he needs traction, he can drive his other vehicle:

Its good for posting dyno graphs on car forums.

Can the drivetrain handle slicks? Without them he will lose to cars with half the HP.

[quote=“L8APEX1,post:6,topic:34501"”]

[/quote]

Its not that people don’t know HOW, its just much easier to get a roll on instead of throwing on 26 inch slicks @ 10 psi on public roads when u just wanna screw around or get a few grudge matches in.

After all these years, some people still just don’t get it…

Hate all you want about FWD and how people can’t drive and all that…maybe you are Jesus and can defy the laws of physics, but its just hard for ANYONE, me, you, Schumacher, John Force to put 500+ down on non slicks from a stop, period.

does anyone, (old school members only) remember when cooley (midgeX) use to roll race. lmao he would hold the clutch and drop it on the third beep. so funny so funny

the supra kid is busting someones balls about traction issues and high hp numbers that are no good?

REALLY?

lol

and here is the reason a 500whp neon rules:

it prob cost 3-4 grand to make

/rant

[quote=“POOPRA,post:8,topic:34501"”]

Its good for posting dyno graphs on car forums.

Can the drivetrain handle slicks? Without them he will lose to cars with half the HP.

[/quote]

Yes. He will hang with anyone running 11.99 or slower :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell, I didn’t too too bad last year, and I a hundred less.

–mark

:clap: i dont care what anyone says 501 hp in any car is cool and hard to accomplish, thumbs up, i hope he is safe with it

[quote=“zwarbyt,post:12,topic:34501"”]

and here is the reason a 500whp neon rules:

it prob cost 3-4 grand to make

/rant

[/quote]

A little more then that, but close enough :slight_smile: I had < 9k into mine, including the cost of the car. If I was to do it again, I bet I could do it for 6k or so :slight_smile:

Gotta figure that engine costs about a grand to build, turbo is a grand, then injectors, fuel system about a grand, standalone and sensors about a grand. It adds up fast, but its definitely cheap as hell, for what you get.

–mark

[quote=“zwarbyt,post:11,topic:34501"”]

the supra kid is busting someones balls about traction issues and high hp numbers that are no good?

REALLY?

lol

[/quote]

Its all good with slicks

i call BS on that poopra. we all know supras are only good for dynos. jk

poopra did i see you at the topps plaza in op last night? or was that the op supra that i NEVER have seen out yet. you might have noticed my pimp '96 blazer

Nah not me, theres a couple black ones around in OP. One I tried to buy, a 93 just like mine but auto but the guy wants too much for it. Theres another 97/98 floating around OP too with gold emblems, if anyone knows where he lives let me know.

[quote=“layzie,post:10,topic:34501"”]

does anyone, (old school members only) remember when cooley (midgeX) use to roll race. lmao he would hold the clutch and drop it on the third beep. so funny so funny

[/quote]

haha i never knew about that, that’s hilarious