Gas Saving Mods on the Civic!

Wax and dimples have been proven to have no affect on vehicle aerodynamics and gas mileage savings. I’d have to dig but I’m pretty sure it was in a Hot Rod mag where an interview was done with someone who conducts wind tunnel testing.

vtec around 80.i have a headache

Neat man.

I have an 03 saturn ion with a stick. It doesn’t even come CLOSE to those numbers. Yeah its a bigger car with a bigger displacement motor, but honda has the gas mileage thing figured out over the domestics.

The best I was able to manage was around 32mpg.

Just put a new set of firestone closeout all seasons on it, and increased the pressure from 30psi to 35psi (the tire is rated for 44psi max, the car is rated for a soft 30psi).

I’ll see how it does with the better spring gas.

Definitely bump the psi to 40 or right to 44 if you don’t mind the bumpy ride. 44psi is the max pressure at the max rated load. Your car full of people and luggage still won’t be heavy enough to reach the maximum load, you’d probably need another civic strapped to the roof to come close.

Every time I go any distance farther than 60 miles, I max the psi out.

Taking the following a big rig thing to an extreme, you could just got some real big suction cups and mount them to your hood. Get up close to a square backed trailer and bump it, securing your car via suction cup to the trailer. Put car in neutral, turn off engine, profit.

extendable tow bar w/ claw?

i was think of doing it ninja style with my crossbow and claw like the fast and furious…man i would own on mpg.

haha nice man i always wanted to so something like this. But try like a super low comp tiny turbo set up. I dunno kind of inspired by tdis and what not.

cover the rear wheel well with coroplast too…

that will be done during this weekend…

I never noticed the difference aerodynamics can make on a car until i got my roof rack. I constantly drive back and forth between buffalo and albany. Ever since the roof rack has been put on i feel as if the car is working that much harder to stay at speed, and my gas mileage is suffering.

I have yet to keep a log, but this thread is inspiring me to track my mileage with and without the rack.

Wrong. 87 octane actually has more energy in it than 93 does. all 93 octane will do is drain you wallet faster.

+1. 93 RESISTS detonation more than 87, which is why you have to use it in higher compression applications.

:word: my thule makes like a 5mpg difference on the highway

Get rid of those mirrors.

lowering your car helps too. cheap ebay springs ftw!

and a diy front lip from home depot

what about a small turbo? like a t25 or even a big one like a t3

okay so if the idea is too save money.
lets see.
buy a turbo. 1,000 at least.
buy new wheels tires. 500-800 easy.
buy springs etc. etc. etc.

you get the point. spending money to save money is fucking stupid.

but what if you get the turbo for free and get a mani for 100 bucks and it saves you 200 a year

Please please ppleease don’t get me started on octane ratings. 98 contour, 87 octane 287 miles before empty. 89-93 octane 358 miles before empty. Same driver, same load, same road, same environmental conditions. Care to discuss?

Aerodynamics on a car are key when it comes to saving on gas, same goes for weight . Hey so instead of a turbo why not do a ram air intake if you travel mostly on the highway. Auto or 5’sp? Oh ya lighter oils also help a lot. The posibillities are endless I’m sure if you do some searching on “the google” you will be astounded at what you can find. Alternative fuels anyone? Keep us posted.