General Exclaim

Anyone ever run these tires? Looking for some new digs for the 240, they come in at a good price and there rating seems pretty damn good as well. Just reading off of tire rack it seems like they might be worth the shot.

whitey what size tires do you run honestly they suck ass dont waste your money on them

last summer i had some douche with a vette who wanted cheap tires and had to have these 2 weeks after i put them on for him he wanted his money back

i would highly rec bfg g force sports ive had countless tires they hold up wheel handle great hook up good and are fairly cheap

ive had countless sets on both of my civic’s and ive tried tires from just about every major tire company

Can’t say I’ve heard of them. What kinda sizes, tread ratings, prices, etc, are you looking at? The class I run in is all street tire based so I can give you a few good options depending on what you want, since at one point everyone has tried everything at autox hehe.

I actually ended up going with
front: 225/45ZR-17 Sumitomo HTR Z II
Rear: 245/40ZR-17 Sumitomo HTR Z II

The tires i have on now were just getting kinda junky, I picked up those tires for 350 shipped so it will be a pretty good solution for now. I had these same tires on my old Jetta and i liked them. They lasted a good while.

glad you went with those sizes and if the rears dont rub i say next time try the 255 40

any more questions just let me know and dont forget about the alignment let me know i can take care of that whenever if robinson gives you any issues

Thats a good choice. I ran the regular HTR Z’s back before the Azenis dominated everything. I remember they were one of the few street tires were if you got them REALLY hot they would get pretty sticky. Though I dunno how the HTR Z II’s compare in that aspect, but I knew a few people who used them on the street and liked them.

Whitey,

How about an update on the Sumitomos . . .

I was very impressed with the tires for the price. The car handled great and even provided a decent amount of traction. I took the car to North Park one day for Auto X and I thought they did very well. The life seems good, the fronts are fine but after a few burnouts the rears are pretty much done.

I’m in the same boat you are Whitey. Either spend $300 or $500 on tires. The Sumitomos seem to be very good for the price.

I’ve run a lot of tires in the last ~10 years.

On the Z/28 I started with Goodyear RSAs, what terrible, terrible tires. Then I had 245/50-16 Potenza RE730s on the stock wheels. I loved those tires, great handling and traction for their size, pretty good wear, all around good tires. Then I picked up my 17x9 & 11s and they had Kuhmo 712s on the front and Sumitomo HRT Zs on the back. I absolutely hated the Sumis. Overall it seemed like I lost handling/traction going from the 245/50-16 730s to the 315/35-17 HRT Zs. THe HRTs felt very hard/greasy yet they wore fast. The 712s were just “okay.” Better than the HRTs for sure, but not as good as the 730s. I replaced the HRTs on the front with Nitto 555R drag radials. I loved the 555Rs. As any drag racer will tell you they aren’t as good of a drag tire as BFG or Mickey Thompson DRs, but as a street tire for a higher HP RWD car they are great. The sidewalls aren’t too soft (hence not being the best DR ever) that they hurt handling, and the tread compound gets nice and sticky with a little heat.

On the Z-ho I picked it up with Pirelli PZero Rossos on it. They are a great tire. Very good handling, pretty good straight line traction (with that thin of a sidewall you’re never going to get decent launches) but they did wear quick. And, of course they are ub3r expen$ive. I went through 2 sets of backs in the time it took to kill the fronts, but that was when I had a much less aggressive alignment. I found a great deal on some barely used PS2’s for the back so I went with those. I also really like these tires. Straight line traction is better than the Pirellis, handling is probably about the same. They also run wider in the same size than the Pirellis and I think look better on the rim (19x11). On the front I did put those General Exclaim UHPs on it in 275/30-19. They are terrible tires honestly. With them on the car is very pushy and just doesn’t want to turn in. If I’m going to drive it aggressive at all on the street tires I turn off all the active handling junk because it senses the push right away and it steps in constantly. I hate that. With it off it feels like racing on the race tires in the rain. You give it some steering input, the front end slides a bit, then eventually it turns. But with the -2.8 front camber it’s a necessary evil I’m living with right now. The PS2’s to match my back tires would have been $370 each + shipping/tax/mount/balance (the backs are $500/ea + shipping/tax/mount/balance) and I got both UHPs out the door mounted for less than that. I have an alignment stud/shim kit that will allow me to change my camber accurately between events so my next front tires I’ll go back to a quality tire.

-TJ

Good luck with Sumitomo’s HTRZ II. Thats what I ran when I had a v6 and they sorta gripped, terrible to start in rain though, but once you get going its all good. After going to the ls1, ha, they are terrible. Price is right though. Hold up decent for mileage, I was getting like 15-20k miles out of the fronts but only like 10-15k on the rears.

i would just search ebay and look for someone selling ur size tires. There are alot of guys who put aftermarket wheels or different tires on people rides. I know i bought my 18 inch tires off ebay for 100 they were 2 Michalins with 18 miles on them. The guy said he took them off a new caddy and they were only removed because the customer put on aftermarket wheels.

I forgot to mention I’m running RE050s (I believe they are the runflat version) on my IS250 and really like this tire too. Grip is much better than expected (interestingly enough they are the stock tire on my buddy’s brand new S2K also) and I’m getting pretty good wear (at 24k miles on the car/tires, fronts need replaced due to wear at the outter edge).

-TJ

Could not agree more. They came stock on my 07 Mazda3 and they suck. They don’t have very good grip and after 10K miles the mechanic says I will need new tires soon. :down:

this thread is a year old. :hs:

That’s why I hit again, to see if Whitey still liked the Sumitomos.

I’m thinking about getting a set, but the pricepoint makes them seem to good to be true.

You don’t have much to lose. If you don’t like them then burn them off and call it an amusement tax!