Tire feedback

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP

I was thinking of picking these up for the TA. Anybody have any kind of imput on the quality of them? From the reviews I’d say they are decent, and they are a good price.

I have heard good things about this particular General, but in the end it’s still a General. If the price is right and you need cheap tires, give them a whirl but don’t expect anything more than what you paid for.

Not especially good. What do you want to do with the car? There should be better tires in a similar price range.

Also, what size are we talking?

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. My TA is stock. It has 190 hp and like 240 torque. I dont think I’ll have a huge problem, and since it’s stock I’m not going to need something “extreme”. I want something that handles ok and has good hydroplane resistance. The tires I got on there now hydroplane at like 40 lol.

You saw this right?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=4

Affirmed my feelings about the AVS ES100’s I used to run on the Fiero. Loved that tire.

generals a horrible horrible tires

dude you think everything is horrible lol.

[quote=“JEG,post:7,topic:26055"”]

dude you think everything is horrible lol.

[/quote]

yeah what does he know anyway he’s only been working in tire shops since high school :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always had good luck with Kumhos as a cheap “performance” tire for the cost.

I just tossed out the General’s that came with my Jetta this past fall. I don’t drive like an ass and they only lasted me about 30k.

I’ll be picking up some summer tires for the Jetta in a couple of weeks and I think I’m either going Khumo Ecsta ASX or Fuzion HRi. Both <$70 and have decent ratings on tire rack. We’ll see. I’ve got to do a bit more research.

nexton. cheap and local

[quote=“Joe,post:8,topic:26055"”]

yeah what does he know anyway he’s only been working in tire shops since high school :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always had good luck with Kumhos as a cheap “performance” tire for the cost.

[/quote]

lol I was jokin around man. I just said that becaus he always says things suck. Anywho…Yeah just looks like a decent priced tire. I dont want to sopend more than like $70/tire. Its a stock Trans Am. Don’t need anything super amazing, just want decent traction in rain and whatnot. Hydroplaning is scary shit lol.

What size are you looking for?

[quote=“JEG,post:11,topic:26055"”]

lol I was jokin around man. I just said that becaus he always says things suck. Anywho…Yeah just looks like a decent priced tire. I dont want to sopend more than like $70/tire. Its a stock Trans Am. Don’t need anything super amazing, just want decent traction in rain and whatnot. Hydroplaning is scary shit lol.

[/quote]

yea but i know so much information about tires its kind of disgusting. look at fusion hri’s if ur looking for a cheap all season tire. i had these on the cobalt and i loved them.A bad alignment finished um off for me but they were definatly a good tire. the tread design is kind of screwy and there is some mild road noise but probably not noticeable in your redneck mobile.

[quote=“nitroinsane,post:13,topic:26055"”]

yea but i know so much information about tires its kind of disgusting.

[/quote]

Alright then smarty pants. The Jetta is due for new shoes. 205/55-16. I have studded snows that I run from Oct 15 thru Apr 15. What should I get?

Fuzion HRi’s and Khumo Ecsta ASX’s are both under $70 at tire rack. Anything I should consider that would be worth (i.e. last significantly longer) spending an extra $50 total?

Do you agree that it’d be dumb to get summer-only tires instead of summer oriented all-seasons for a DD in Buffalo, in case we get a rogue blizzard in June or something?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:14,topic:26055"”]

Alright then smarty pants. The Jetta is due for new shoes. 205/55-16. I have studded snows that I run from Oct 15 thru Apr 15. What should I get?

Fuzion HRi’s and Khumo Ecsta ASX’s are both under $70 at tire rack. Anything I should consider that would be worth (i.e. last significantly longer) spending an extra $50 total?

Do you agree that it’d be dumb to get summer-only tires instead of summer oriented all-seasons for a DD in Buffalo, in case we get a rogue blizzard in June or something?

[/quote]

well khumos are not known for mileage or the traction in wet weather. i really loved my fusions! in fact if i dont dump this shit box iam going to order a set of four(my car plus bad alignment=belts showing) keep um rotated and the fusion should hold up just fine. i actually didnt think they handled bad at all for a h rated tire either. nice ride to

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=HRi

I had those on my GTP. They were rather sticky, and didnt wear too bad.

And they were $50/ea!

u had alot of tires on that car

[quote=“BikerFry,post:14,topic:26055"”]

[/quote]

You’re crazy not to get a pure summer tire when you already have a snow that you switch to in the winter. If you enjoy spirited driving at all a pure summer tire is SOOOOOOOOO much better than some all season performance wanna-be. The tires on my car right now are claimed “performance all seasons” and they are terrible. I’m coming from Yokohoma AVS ES-100’s and Falken Azenis, both a summer only tire.

Just don’t wait too lake to swap to the snows, and don’t swap to the summers too early.

Of course, I’d never run a studded snow in WNY either, unless I lived/commuted through ski country. Pretty serious overkill considering our flat terrain and winter type. When our roads are bad it’s because of massive snow storms, and good snow tires will do as good or better than cheap studded snows in that case. Studs big advantage is on glare ice, and even then the microsipe technology of modern snows only puts them slightly behind.

I put a set of Dunlop Winterforce M2 performance snow tires on the GTO and have been happy. Sure, a narrower non-peformance tire would give me more grip in the snow, but these tires are safe if you don’t drive like an idiot and at no point did I worry about getting stuck. And since 95% of the time the roads are clear all winter the car is that much more fun to drive the rest of the time.

[quote=“nitroinsane,post:17,topic:26055"”]

u had alot of tires on that car

[/quote]

lol

[quote=“JayS,post:18,topic:26055"”]

snip

[/quote]

Yeah, studded probably is overkill. But hey, what’s wrong with a little overkill? :slight_smile: Yeah yeah, dry traction loss, noise, blah blah blah. My next set of snows probably won’t be studded.

I’ll check and see if there are any summer-only tires in that price range and then consider it, otherwise just go with the HRi’s.