Just Need Some Help on a Tire Decision

I figure now that I have some nice Gram Lights on the way I would start looking for some nice tires to wrap them with. The size that I am looking to run is 235/40/18. This being my first time buying tires I figured it would be nice to get some advice. I am looking for a nice summer tire, that will be sticky, ride smooth, and last me a good amount of time and miles. That being said, what brand should I go with? and then which tire of that brand? Any input would be great. Thanks
-Steve

azenis or invo’s… or kumho MX if you want to go a little cheaper

If you can find goodyears in the at price range, I loved mine. They were a bit soft though and wore pretty quickly. The amount of grip they gave me was outstanding and they were really quiet.

I would go with the falken azenis, I have them in a 295 on the vette and they hook up pretty well and are not too wore out after 5K miles on them.

kumho’s were a lot less sticky and didn’t last that much longer

never used invo’s but i always thought they looked cool

thanks for the input guys, i was kinda planning on azenis because thats what everyone i have talked to so far has said. just wanted to see if there was anything else out there.

I liked my Falken Ziex 912s. Too bad my dumbass didnt get a alignment and the fronts wore badly after about 3K. Backs have plenty of thread. Great traction in dry and wet weather. I might look at BFGoodrich g force T/A since I need 2 new tires come spring.

if your looking for cheap, Kumho Ecsta AST’s for 79 each at tires.com. Not sure on the performance tho

don’t get azenis since you said this:

are you going to actually be doing any racing on them, or just daily driving?

Yeah, I can’t picture the 200 treadwear Azenis lasting very long. They never did when I ran them on the Fiero but I had more autocross miles than street miles on that car.

I compromised and went with the 300 treadwear Kumho Ecsta SPT on the GTO. I was mostly happy with them. I burned up the rear set in one summer but the fronts still look great so that was my fault not the tires fault. A little more grip in the rear would have been nice so in the fall I’ll be rolling the fenders and stuffing more tire out back.

Bottom line, they don’t have 200 treadwear grip but they don’t wear out like 200 treadwear tires either.

the higher the treadwear number the longer the tire is suppose to last correct???

Those Kum ho’s have a 400 treadwear. The Falken Ziex 912s is 360.

i had nitto neogens. Swerve hooked me up with a good price and they rode/woar very nicely.

are you going to actually be doing any racing on them, or just daily driving?[/quote]

more or less daily driving, maybe one or two trips to the track

more or less daily driving, maybe one or two trips to the track[/quote]

what track? Drag or something like dunville

what track? Drag or something like dunville[/quote]

id really like to go to dunville once but if not, drag once or twice

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+II&partnum=34WR8HTRZ2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

I ran these at Dunnville, and pretty much abused the hell out of them… they still have a ton of tread left… and at 96 bucks a piece :shrug:

i loved my ventus rs2’s. great tire that was pretty quiet and pretty darn sticky.

those look nice may have to go with those

I would recommend nothing less:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec

But a little higher than your price range. Do you mind me asking how much your wheels cost?

Hankook Ventus RS2 or Falken Azenis. The only two proper choices for an enthusiast summer tire.

no not at all original they are $1500. but i got them for an insaine deal that i couldnt refuse

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star’s is what i would go with.

So, you think $1,500 is a lot to spend on wheels?