Tire Thread

I am about to get a set of tires and I’ve been looking around the interweb at a few different options. Right now I’m looking at Falken Azenis RT-615k, BF-Goodrich g-force T/A and a few lesser $ tires with a bit longer tread life (Exclaims,Ecsta etc…)

I’ll be using these for Screwing around and some track day uses and I wanted some Nyspeeders opinions…

Maybe we could go even farther then the tires I’m looking at and review some of the tires that you’ve used. Tire sticky? W/e it’s kind of quite around here lol.

I was going to buy Exclaims for my car based on the recommendation of my buddy who runs them on two of his cars. He raves about them and both cars handle very well with them on. I was going to get a pair but Tire Rack didn’t have my size - apparently they’re discontinued.

I wound up buying Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500’s (long name I know). They’re W rated performance summers and I love em. Being a large, domestic sedan you wouldn’t traditionally think of my car as one that would handle well, but with these tires I can take curves rated at 20 at 65+. It’s pretty crazy. Tire rack mentioned that they’re weak when it comes to wet traction but I haven’t had a problem. There are a bunch of reviews on the site from people with Corvettes, if that does anything for you.

I don’t care about wet traction to be honest…if it’s that wet out then I’m not going to get to the point of losing it.

i loved my azenis. wet traction wasnt really a problem… but i wasnt taking turns at 80mph in the rain lol

This is what I mean, that’s just irresponsible lol. Although those BFGs are real tempting…

Haha neither am I. I’m just pointing it out because Tire Rack made up a video and that was the biggest flaw they had with the Firestones.

Azenis are great.
I had Hankook RS-2’s on my 98 cobra and never had a problem in the rain. Similar performance to Azenis, neither being optimal for rain though and they both wear quick (200 treadwear)
Hankook evo S2’s are pretty damn good, drove ultradriver’s 450whp vette with these on it.
Nitto NT 555’s aren’t as good, last longer though.
I have heard Nitto NT05s are comparable to 615’s and RS2’s
If you don’t mind getting like 3k miles NT01’s are pretty awesome for being streetable, kind of like the mileage a lot of drag radials get on the street except for handling. I could see doing this with an extra set of wheels for when you really want to handle good. They are also very reasonable for how good of a tire they are, just not an all out slick.
Goodyear RSA’s and gatorbacks are meh
Falken 912’s and 512’s are nothing special either
The only BFG’s I like are KD’s
Kumho XS’ are great tires, also wear quick
Bridgestone Potenza RE92’s are awesome, have them on my A4 now, seem stickier than REO50’s
I have heard great things about Potenza RE11’s
Also heard Hankook RS 3’s and Dunlop Z1 star specs are great

Dunlop Direzza Star Specs (not Z101).

Hands down the best 200 treadwear tire out there, tire of choice for LeMons and ChumpCar.

These are loud as street tires^ But I am not sure if the OP is using them as streets or just a set of track ties? if just for track days, then step up to a set of NT01’s you wont regret it.

summer fun and track days. I’m really leaning towards the BFGs

out of all the tires in the same class, i went with the azenis because they had an 80$ or 100$ rebate at the time.
def check for rebates

x2, coming from another person who actually races.

This tire is amazing. And for wear, well let’s see… How does almost 20k of highway driving plus dual drivers throughout an entire season of auto-x in both wny and flr regions on a heavy STI sound? Sounds amazing to me.
That’s roughly 20 auto-x’s with dual drivers at EVERY event plus a ton of highway driving.

did i miss what car these are going on?

i want to try the dunlops but rarely get around to buying new tires.

i’ve been using Azenis RT615’s for years with great success but i do understand that there are better tires out there now… the dunlops being one that i hear of often.

Sooo anyone care to fill me in. I believe this is bs but I’d rather get some insight on this.

I have right now Sumitomo HTR Z II tires for the front and rear… 225/45/17

I have gone through a set in about 5k miles for the rears. these are on the s2k. I know the reason these went pretty damn fast is because I was getting on the car a lot and having fun sliding it around.

I went and got new rears for the car and knew that it was time to smarten up and not have so much fun and be conservative on them. If I gave the car gas (vtec) I would wait to put my foot down till I got around 4.5 - 5k rpm and then go. Here and there I would give it more gas, but was really driving it quite better for not killing tread.

Now I again am in need of rear tires after about 7.5k miles and found the right rear tire wearing from the center to the inside of the car. The outside having a bit of tread left. The left tire still has a little but not a lot and still would need replacing in another 500 miles or so.

Shop tells me that the reason these tires are burning up so fast in the center is due to torque which I dont fully believe. I feel the tires are over inflatted from them. I believe 40psi and the alignment now might be off on the back rear.

Anyone care to fill me in please.

Sounds like your suspension is shot in some sort of way. If the tires were over-inflated, they would just wear more on the center of the tread, not from the center to the inside of the car.

What’s the UTQG on the tires you’re running?

you have some siqqq camber on the one tire :shrug:

What is Honda’s suggested tire pressure that can usually be found inside your driver’s side car door?

What is your current alignment?

You should be able to answer these questions off the top of your head.

Well I’ve had the car for 7 months or so. Cars alignment never was done but the last tires wore down directly in the center of the tire. the steering wheel is aligned and centered. No pull on the car/can drive straight for several several seconds with no hand on the wheel (do this to check alignment for myself with my hand hovering over the wheel incase any sudden jump in suspension/wheel turn.

PSI rating I thought on the inside of the door jam was for stock/oem rims.

I was under the impression that when changing to a completely different rim size/width and tire, it was to be determined based on other factors.

Correct me please because its been way to long since I was looked into that. (sadly I should know this I know)

Your section width of 225 is same as stock (rear) correct?

Wider, and got the issue. John, who I got the car from must have been pushing this car pretty good, or I guess I did. Alignment was hammered. Said nothing was close to spec … BING BING BING we have a winner. Picking up the car in a half hour and taking it for a ride with new fronts and the fronts moved to the rear.