Tire Recommendations...

Looking at picking up some new tires for my summer wheels. Tread life I don’t care about. The car will see the drag strip ~10 times next season or so, so I’m going to need some decent traction. Wet weather is a plus, but not necessary. Last year I ran yokohama parada spec-2’s and loved them, but then again it was a 90hp civic, so I never had traction issues. I’m looking into these tires again, or going up to the Yokohama AVS ES100, any thoughts?

Tire size is 205/45-16, and lets keep it under $100 per tire.

+1 for yokohama prada spec 2’s. i had them. i loved them.

stick with them. or bridgestone potenzas

I got about 300 miles on my falcon azenis 615’s and I love them. they are only soposed to last about 10-15K though so they wont last long. very sticky though.

DO NOT TRY DRIVING IN TEH SNOW WITH THESE you will die. that is all

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21304&highlight=summer+tire

I have to ask, why a skinny 205?

not only that, but what car? if its gonna see the drag strip alot, and u dont care abotu weat weather perforamnce or longevity why not pickup drag radials?

sorry if its a bit off topic, but if you still have your old set of spec 2’s in that size, with some tread showing id buy them for sure, lmk

car and power makes a big differnece if its a fwd 300whp + car id say drag radials and dont think twise about it

need to go 205s because its a civic, and from what i’ve read, 215’s require fender rolling, correct me if I’m wrong. also, from those tires that were posted only the hankook’s come in 205/45’s.

300hp plus needs drag radials…dang. Is it ok to have drag radials up front, and something like the parada spec 2 in the rear? Would I run into any handling issues if say I auto-xed the car this summer (somewhat unlikely, but the possibility is there I suppose).

What drag radials would you suggest?

and paradas are gone with the wheels they were on.

Andy’s car has run 235s before (although Hoosier 225s are just as wide). You shouldn’t have to roll the fenders, but what if you do, it takes 30 secs.

Then run a different aspect ratio, all it’s going to do is change your gearing a little. Or better yet get 215s or 225s…

Yes, you would run into issues if you auto-Xed with DRs in the front. DRs have a low cornering stiffness to improve longitudinal acceleration. If you thought FWDs handled bad to begin with…

yea, u dont run drag radials on all 4 corners, just the front 2

i suggest kumho MX’s

Since you seem apprehensive in trying different tire sizes…

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Anything within +/- 5% is more than acceptable. Just keep an eye on the speedo when going higher.

the azenis 205 will rub without rolling the fenders if your hatch is lowered, just roll them.

if you plan on auto-xing or going to the track get the azenis. if not, go with the es-100 or kumho SPT.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=4

head to head the kumho out performed the yokohama

Azenis or MXs

I know everyone here loves the Kumho MX, but they came in 11th out of 11 in a recent head to head comparison.

i also like the Continental ContiSportContact 2

SP9000’s are great in the wet. And very soft.

these came stock on the tc’s and they suck

worst tires i have ever had

really? not mine…but my stock tires do suck. :wink:

sorry

well atleast on my tc they did…i dunno if for all they do

but in rain if get on it at like 30 they will just spin, and if you launch at all they just spin

they corner fine but traction sucks i think…on tirerack they got a overall rating of 2.4 from people saying if they would buy them again

i cant wait to get rid of them