Get Paid $100k to explore Island in Australia

SYDNEY (AFP) – An Australian state is offering internationally what it calls “the best job in the world” – earning a top salary for lazing around a beautiful tropical island for six months.

The job pays 150,000 Australian dollars (105,000 US dollars) and includes free airfares from the winner’s home country to Hamilton Island on the Great Barrier Reef, Queensland’s state government announced on Tuesday.

In return, the “island caretaker” will be expected to stroll the white sands, snorkel the reef, take care of “a few minor tasks” – and report to a global audience via weekly blogs, photo diaries and video updates.

The successful applicant, who will stay rent-free in a three-bedroom beach home complete with plunge pool and golf buggy, must be a good swimmer, excellent communicator and be able to speak and write English.

“They’ll also have to talk to media from time to time about what they’re doing so they can’t be too shy and they’ll have to love the sea, the sun, the outdoors,” said acting state Premier Paul Lucas.

“The fact that they will be paid to explore the islands of the Great Barrier Reef, swim, snorkel and generally live the Queensland lifestyle makes this undoubtedly the best job in the world.”

Lucas said the campaign was part of a drive to protect the state’s 18 billion Australian dollar a year tourism industry during the tough economic climate caused by the global financial meltdown.

“Traditional tourism advertising just doesn’t cut it sometimes and we are thinking outside the box by launching this campaign.”

Queensland Tourism Minister Desley Boyle said some people might question whether it was risky to let an unknown person become an unofficial tourism spokesperson for the state.

“I think the biggest risk will be that the successful candidate won’t want to go home at the end of the six months,” she said.

“This is a legitimate job which is open to anyone and everyone.”

Applications are open until February 22. Eleven shortlisted candidates will be flown to Hamilton Island in early May for the final selection process and the six month contract will commence on July 1.

Job-seekers can apply on .

(The link isn’t working though… Yes I tried to apply!)

ummmm, i want that job =(

I saw that this morning. Wonder what “few minor tasks” are. I’m thinking it requires feeding women to the Cracken.

small task…fight off aborigines with sticks!

look up what an irikanji is and think again

yeah and…?

there is already a multimillion dollar house on the island, I don’t think you have to worry about aggressive natives attacking you.

why do you even know about them? are you studying their dialect of “Yirrgay”? :smiley:

it’s Irukandji and yeah… I’d still do it, without question.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2002/s475289.htm

Me too, fuck those pussy jelly fish!

wont be saying that when they latch on your dick!

i’d be a little more worried about the great whites than some stupid jelly fish

welp i’m out write english clearly. lol

and the Irukandji have been around for a while now. there has been all sorts of stuff on the discovery channel about them. if they dont kill ya the effects from the sting could last a life time.

you and me both sir:'(

heard about this on the radio this morning around 5 am or w/e big ray was talkin about it

I cant swim so I guess I wont be getting this job. Fuck. I need a good paying job. Mine sucks.

u can at least SEE a shark

Yeah, I’d be more worried about the deadly small box jell(irukandji), deadly stinging bulldog ants, or the crazy fanged deadly spiders. Austrailia has some dangerous critters roaming around.

http://www.myrmecos.net/ants/MyrNigris5.JPG

Do some searching on them. Watch videos. They’re MEAN fuckers(can ump and will chase you) and in some cases can kill you rather quickly if you don’t get proper treatment for their stings.

Thehttp://www.518carscene.com/images/smilies/quoties.gif few minor tasks http://www.518carscene.com/images/smilies/quoties.gif will most likely consist of something really messed up, cause if it were really minor they would have posted it, seems really odd, why wouldnt they want someone that was already familiar with Austrailia to do it ? Makes no sense to me. its like choosing some person off the street to do work to your car rather than a mechanic…

they all def suck, but if you encounter any of them you will survive 96% of the time. Can’t really say that for the great whites.

Anyone see the pics of the mansion you’d get the stay in? Holy shit, I’d eat those jellyfish, and stick spiders down my pants to live there.