Give me your input.... staircase landing, tile or carpet?

I know it sounds stupid, but i can’t decide what would be best to do. I’m going to be back in buffalo for a couple weeks and one of the things I plan to do is tile my front entry.

There’s a landing from the upstairs staircase at the entry way and I’m debating about extending the tile to the landing, which is currently carpted.

Here’s why:

1.) When i lived there, everybody would sit on the stairs when putting their shoes on and the carpet always got dirty.

2.) At some point, I want to replace the first floor carpet with either hardwood or new carpet. Having the tile extend to the landing makes for a good place to start/stop the carpet. Otherwise I will have 2 different carpets on the stairs on on the floor. Depending on the color of the new carpet, this could look awkward in the future.

The carpet is identical currently on the stairs and the second floor so there is no better place to make a transition from 2 different colors of carpet.

The only reason why i don’t want to do it is because the tile will be poilished porcelean and somebody coming down the stairs in socks will be more likely to wipe out.

Your thoughts? Maybe i’m just too anal, but i dont want 2 potentially similar but different colors right next to eachother.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21199[/ATTACH]

Tile, Its also going to be a high traffic area putting more wear on the carpet in only that spot. You could just toss a small rug where the first step on the tile will be.

I would put the tile down, just wipe it up when it gets dirty. I’ve had tile on my landing for 17 years without a rug and nobody has ever wiped out. I usually wipe this up every day because that’s exactly where everyone sits to put on their shoes.

Was coming in here to type this. Since its a small area you can go very high end and still wont cost you much.

Tile

Definitely tile or stone.

Tile, you can always crisco it up and watch people wipe out…videotapping it of course.

The answer is never carpet

Haha, well then. Tile it is. Thanks for making the decision easy.

Not gonna lie,

Thought this was gonna be a tread about how to address your pubes…

Tile

concrete

tile > slip > smash.

be sure to set up a camera for good laughs.

Sand, grass, egg shells, sharp glass

What everyone else said, plus some sort of comment about the use of carbon fiber or concrete. Maybe fiber reinforced concrete so that 500 years from now when WNY is nothing but a post apocalyptic burned out wasteland the landing will still be there in the middle of a field. With a weathered LAFANGUS logo in the corner.

There we go. Sufficiently creative mildly nutswinging comment accomplished. :tup:

Anonymity pretty much stole all of mine.

Carpet. I would much rather “land” on carpet.

carpet…
…tiles.

carpet tiles.

carpet tiles…noted for next time.

Next opinion question: Do you think a heated floor is a waste at the entry way? If i’m going to do it, now’s the time.

Fuck that. It’s not like you are debating doing heated tile floor in your kitchen where you’ll spend a good amount of time. Do you really expect some mope to just stand there by the entrance to the point that they’ll say, “Boy, I wish this was heated.”