Looking to lay some carpet....

Does anyone have a suggestion for buying/installing wall-to-wall?

I know the big names:

Kenny Carpets
Custom Carpet Centers
Niagara Carpet…something or other…
Empire Flooring

Who have you used and would you use them again?

Discuss.

Years ago I went with some place on Transit. Honestly can’t remember who but haven’t been real impressed with how it wore.

My mom just had Carpet Smart on NFB near the 290 carpet several rooms in her house and she was happy. Seems like a better quality carpet than what I had installed (and I didn’t pick the cheap stuff), of course carpet tech may have evolved some too.

The place on Walden near Mr 2nds is the place that did the carpet in my old house before I left. IMO it was pretty good for the price/install. Even though I lived there like a week after it was installed before I moved.

I used custom carpet, they sucked. I then used GCO which is owned by custom, but about half the price, and they did a much better install job with a better carpet.

I don’t know about you guys, but I prefer hardwood floors…giggity…

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

I prefer to go to the small shop no name guys. There is one I went to when I moved in that has a shop out in Arcade. I saved over $100 strictly by asking him if I paid in cash, how much would he knock off.

x2. Carpet it ugly, stains, holds allergens and bacteria, and is lower in value on the overall home. I like wood but it can be scratched/dented.

Ever consider pergo? Usually comes with 20 year warranty.

home depot was far and away unbeatable when I had some put in one of my units a month ago. installation was $39 whole house (stairs not included) as well. I went to all the little places, custom carpet centers ect and it was rapeville… nothing for less than $3-4 a sq ft and install was $125 +

got some nice but also cheap stuff for $.90 sq ft and pad for $.49 sq foot install of $39 plus tax

this was for a lower end rental unit though and was the cheapest pad and a lower priced carpet. There is tons at home depot in the $1.50 to $3.00 range though

Words of wisdom: Buy the most expensive carpet you can afford. This is one of those things where you absolutely get what you pay for. I had to replace the carpets a second time in my Tonawanda because I cheaped out the first time.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

He was talking about vaginas.

Added to the list. Thanks!

I assume you mean Custom Carpet Center. See Below.

Not for me. Hardwood not an option. But, good info to put in my back pocket. Thanks.

I acutally pulled all the carpet out of my rooms and refinsihed the floors. But, this is for a different house. I have to stick with carpet.

Good to know. I probably won’t go to Home Depot for this particular carpet. I need a long lasting one.

Agreed.

Looks like Empire and Carpet Smart are the top two thus far.

Anyone else?

You can probably negotiate free installation anywhere you go. Either way it’s not rocket surgery so I wouldn’t be too concerned about where you get it. They probably all have a few carpeting crews they contract with so you won’t know who will be doing your install anyway.

The second time I bought carpet I’m pretty sure it was from Kenny Carpets Tonawanda. That particular crew did a half assed job installing the pad on the stairs (didn’t cover the entire step with padding) but otherwise they were pretty good. The first time I did it I don’t remember where it came from, but it was shit carpet so I wound up with shitty carpet. A couple of dog accidents and it was all over.

Yes he was, D’OH

A Different House? S&C’s house?

Good tip. I’ll check out Kenny Carpets as well. Thanks for the warning.

No. But, they might need new carpeting at some point so I’ll pass on the info.

I went with Max Pies, with a high end Shaw Stainmaster carpet. Been a year and a half in a high traffic all male household where people don’t remove their shoes and still looks like Day 1. Picked Max’s over the other places once i figured out the model I wanted because they will move all of your furniture for the install :bigtup: and the price was a little better than Carpetsmart and CCC.

Just an fyi its not home depot brand carpet or something they sell all the big names and brands that you’ve heard of

I completely forgot about Max Pies. Awesome.

Hmmm, I will check it out. You never know.

Thank you NYSpeed for your support and guidance.

Want me to leave a strip down the middle?

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/Czf8rEk_BVA/mqdefault.jpg

http://www.madisoncarpetonetonawanda.com/

2744 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150
(716) 846-1308

Ask for Tom, tell him I sent you. He is a good friend of mine.

Thanks Gennaro. I will stop in.

LOL @ Quagmire.

Kenny Carpets also owns carpet smart, max pies and carpet factory outlet while Custom Carpets also owns Georgia carpet outlet so you get the exact same products and installers from their little groups, but most companies offer very similar levels of carpeting. Lowes and Home Depot have some good stuff, but a lot of cheap crap along with inconsistent installers and sales staff so consider yourself lucky to be happy with them.

Madison Carpet One sells much more than just carpet, with the Most knowledgable sales staff, installers and happens to have a 3rd generation owner that’s a member on NYSpeed doing a shameless plug (thanks GV1390), but feel free to ask me any general flooring questions to help figure out the best solution/product for your situation.