GM mulls 4-cylinder engine for new Camaro

Richard Truett
Automotive News
March 19, 2008 - 2:37 pm ET

NEW YORK – General Motors is considering a four-cylinder engine for the new Chevrolet Camaro as a response to rising fuel prices.
Speaking on the sidelines of the New York auto show, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said the drivetrain under consideration for the Camaro is the same high-performance one used in the [Pontiac Solstice](javascript:var n=1) and [Saturn Sky](javascript:var n=1) roadsters. It’s a 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injected four-cylinder rated at 260 hp. Lutz said that if fuel prices continue to climb, the four-cylinder Camaro could see production.
GM has said it plans V-8 and V-6 versions of the Camaro but otherwise has been secretive. Lutz confirmed to Automotive News that the V-6 version of the Camaro will be powered by the same high-tech V-6 used in the [Cadillac CTS](javascript:var n=1). It’s a direct-injected, 3.6-liter four-cam V-6. In the CTS, the engine is rated at 304 hp.
Low-priced version dropped
In the Camaro, the 3.6 liter’s horsepower should be around 260, Lutz said, Fuel economy, he said, will be around 17 mpg city and 25 highway. That would place the V-6 Camaro among best in class for a performance car.
Lutz said GM has dropped plans to offer a low-priced, entry-level Camaro with one of GM’s low-tech V-6s. GM will position both the V-6 and V-8 versions of the Camaro as premium cars compared to the Camaro’s chief rival, the [Ford Mustang](javascript:var n=1).
The base model Mustang uses a 4.0-liter overhead-cam V-6 rated at 210 hp. The base model Dodge Challenger, due in the fall, will use a 250-hp, 3.5-liter V-6.
Most enthusiast attention has focused on the Camaro’s V-8 engine, which is likely to be a 6.0-liter with about 400 hp. Lutz said the V-8 will have a cylinder cutoff system that shuts down half the engine when the car reaches cruising speed. That will help it get better fuel economy.
But Lutz said he thinks most buyers will opt for the V-6 because the performance will be strong, especially when the engine is combined with a manual transmission.
“Back in the old days, if you wanted a muscle car, to get a decent one, you had to buy the V-8,” Lutz said. “And if you bought the V-6, you got a fairly rough, unrefined pushrod engine with low horsepower and weasely performance.
“This time, the V-6 is 260-odd horsepower, four overhead cams, very smooth and decent 0-to-60-mph times. And now the V-6 is in its own right a very fast, very legitimate car.”
We are going to be above Mustang"
Lutz said that with the V-6, the Camaro achieves a nearly perfect 50-50 weight distribution: “With the V-6, it is not a heavy car. The Camaro will be a very lively and engaging car,” he said.
Lutz would not talk specifically about the Camaro’s pricing. The car is scheduled to go on sale next February as a 2009 model, but Lutz did say GM views the Camaro as better equipped than the Mustang, and the price will be higher.
The Mustang V-6 coupe has a base price of $20,235. The V-8 GT coupe begins at $26,825. Both prices include shipping.
“We are going to be above Mustang,” Lutz said. “We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang.”

if the new camaro is a light weight… i would not mind having a 4 cyl camaro. ala 240sx.

FAIL.
I wouldn’t buy it, people are buyign them as a muscle style car not an economy car.
Its gonna fail horribly compared to the hemi powered challenger that Dodge released… which IMO looks ALOT better, and I dont even like dodges.

quoted for future reference

I’m going to bet they can’t get it under 3,000 lbs.

Well it wouldn’t be the first 4-banger cumarrow.

Im going to agree.
my 4 cyl 1982 3rd gen has the title stamp of 2980.
They arent getting it under 3000lbs

the LNF they plan on using really isn’t THAT bad. Although you could just buy the new cobalt ss probably for around the same price and get better features. In my opinion they shouldn’t even sell the camaro with anything less than the LS3…

4 cylinder in the new Camaro, ummm no.
But then again if they do it, it won’t bother me since I’ll be getting a V8 model.

In order to make the Camaro work, they have to sell a good number of them. Unfortunately, CAFE is rearing its ugly head now. And that 4-banger in the '82 Camaro was the fruit of the last CAFE hit.

Besides, ~60% of Mustang sales are of the 6-cylinder - therefore, many people care more about the styling than the muscle. And if GM can get 260HP out of a 4-cylinder, and still make 30+ MPG, then more power to them.

The alternative is the Camaro going bye-bye after a few years as a sacrifice on the CAFE altar.

What’s it matter if it has a motor in it that you won’t buy? As long as you get the version you’re happy with, it shouldn’t matter. GM is doing this for money, not muscle car styling.

the LNF most definately does NOT get 30 mpg…I’m sure this will help sell more cars, but using the gas mileage as an excuse is bullshit. I bet the v8 version with the 6 speed will get almost as good as highway mpg as the 4 banger version.

didn’t ford try this with the mustang?

Hmm… the LNF in the Solstice GXP gets 19/28 highway ('08 numbers) with a 5-speed… makes me wonder how it’d do with the A6/M6. And the only way the LS3 will match the highway MPG is with cylinder deactivation, so you’d argue the LNF is simpler in that regard.

i don’t think it will need cylinder deactivation. My trans am pulls down 30mpg on the highway all day long. and it has heads and cam.

since Corvettes are over 3k I wouldnt expect the Camaro to be under

isn’t that supposed to be the new cobalt ss’s turbo motor too?

you dont buy a muscle car for good gas mileage :tdown:

edit: although I do like high boosted SVO mustangs…

Yes

Its stupid to price it at a premium price. If they kept it at Mustang pricing they would do a lot better. The Mustang isnt really much to aspire to anyway

QUAD CAM SIIIQQQQQQQ