GM Supercharged 3.8 Question

There’s a cheap, fairly clean looking supercharged GM 3.8L for sale right by me right now. It’s kind of tempting. The specific car is a 2004 Monte Carlo SS.

What do these cars run stock? Mag times are listing them at like 6.8 0-60 and 15.1 in the 1/4 mile- is this about right?

How do they do with just a pulley swap (3.5" pulley)? Or a pulley swap and CAI? I’m not interested in exhaust mods or getting a tune. I’d like something that can run at least low 14s…would this be possible with just a 3.5" pulley and CAI?

Input appreciated as always.

i never ran my gtp, but it ran VERY good.

i bet i ould have dipped into the 13’s

i had a 3.4 pulley
CAI
a $100 PCM
and a downpipe

3.5 pulley, FWI, Colder Plugs, T-stat should get you @ roughly 14.1-14.3 range. I have those mods with a 3.4 pulley and I would bet my car could run a 13.9-14.2. They are pretty decent and i like mine. Just watch the transmission…it is fairly common to have to haev them rebuilt…especially once you mod them a little.

Thanks for the responses. Not to sound like a dumbass…but what’s a “FWI”?

Fenderwell intake.

Cool, thanks.

I think I’ll take it out for a spin…it’d be kind of cool.

they are pigs!!! but you like bulky American cars :slight_smile:

those cars are turds

Would be a nice daily driver. But by no means a performance car. They’re boats.

^^ Very true. They have a decent motor and can be made fast. They are roomy and ride nice, but are far from a performance machine…just in a straight line I guess.

Put the motor in a Fiero!

put the fiero in the monte?

its a decent car compared to other daily drivers and what some of the clowns on this site drive. people are comparing it to their modified vehicals, in that regard its slow but in everyday driving the SC3800 has plenty of power and the monte is a nice looking car.

its a decent car compared to other daily drivers and what some of the clowns on this site drive. people are comparing it to their modified vehicals, in that regard its slow but in everyday driving the SC3800 has plenty of power and the monte is a nice looking car.

Exactly. We’ll find out tommorow morning I guess.

i enjoy driving my gtp alot leather seats ,heads up display,power everything moon roof and it is a quick car for what it is just with basic mods! what i am getting at is for a daily driver the motor is great and goes well in the snow as well even with a pully swap!! aftermarket for these cars are endless but if u mod that thing go turbo and be done with it!! i am going to be puttin a L32 in my 98 with a turbo kit this winter should be a fast car!! enjoy the monte sharp cars i miss my old one!

hahaha these things do handle like boats. but i like my boat, and it’ll run down a straight line pretty quick

don’t be surprised if it doesn’t feel as quick as it should, the montes have a bit more torque management and without a few mods can feel pretty gutless

turds.

devins gtp was a beast in the snow however.

my bigger fatter Bonneville runs high 13’s and traps at 102 with Traction and less than $700 in Mods

i thought you ran a 14.1 as a best?

my 2003 impala is a boat but from a dead stop to full throttle it leaves my buddies 2004 wrx and i can get about a car length distance between us the problem is when his turbo is spooled up he can get around . ive seen alot of aftermarket parts for them and they seem fairly priced.