Going from junky blubs to LEDs, Help needed

[quote=“Violator,post:5,topic:38819"”]

be careful with replacing turn signal bulbs and flasher bulbs. Incandescent bulbs put out WAY more light energy then a LED replacement bulb. Your light will most likely be dimmer then they should be and thats a safety issue when in blinkers, stop, and running lights.
You don’t want to get creamed because someone did not see your lights.

Suggest you buy 1. Install… and compare side by side to existing.

LEDS only focus the eam in 1 direction and that doesnt work with reflector based lamp assemlies. Their reflectors and light output is DESIGNED around a incandescent bulb with high power.

[/quote]

Incorrent… to a point.

LEDs actually can put out a lot MORE light than a typical incandescent bulb, you just need to use the correct ones.

The small typical BS LEDs that you see use the “small focus” point to get up the intensities but are still only putting out a very very small amount of actual light.

Now, compare a 1157 to a Osram 4 or 6 die LED or a new Luxeon K2 Flip-chip LED and any of those LEDs will put out dramatically more light for the same amount of power consumption.

Hell, where I’m working for is building Landing lights for aircraft out of both types of LEDs; that should tell you something. I’m actually making a set of driving light for my car that will be brighter and generate more light than a set of typical headlights; using only 10!!! of the Luxeon K2 Flip-chip LEDs. Yes, 10!!!

By the way… I’m a LED lighting design Engineer… I play with this stuff everyday…

Now, as for your car. Is it possible, most definetly. The flashers and heat-sinking of the LEDs are the only issues depending on what LEDs you use. If you can find online for what people have done for the flasher, I’d be more than willing to help you with the rest of the layout/design if you want.

Oh, and I’m not talking the crap 5mm stuff you see online; those work great for little things (gauges, interior small lights (AKA 194s and similar)), but for corners, tails, stop, etc; I’d use some of the high-power stuff that’s available now.